IDPA Oil Capital July 25 Saturday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will there be a qualifier at the next one [I guess August's]?? I'm new to IDPA - so new I haven't even attended one yet - but I HAVE read the entire handbook and good to go.

I assume, from what I read, it's typical that new shooters can enter without having been classified yet?

Thanks and I look forward to this!! I can't wait!!!!

Yes, a new shooter can enter and shoot without first shooting the Classifier.

Don't know about a Classifier in August; that would be a maybe. The Classifier following the July match is a sure thing.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jack,

Quick question. I have a 13 year old daughter who enjoys shooting. I would like to let her shoot some matches with a G17 equipped with a .22 conversion. I know it won't count for anything but I think she'll learn the game faster and I don't think she's quite ready physicly to handle a centerfire and its recoil while trying to cope with stages and rules and safety.

Safety is paramount always. We've had some individuals start shooting competitively while in their teens; generally they do very well. There is a point where the youngster is both physically and mentally ready to safely handle competitive handgun shooting. This point obviously varies from kid to kid.

I prefer to see younger teens stay with the 9mm's or even the .38 Special revolvers while they are learning. Younger teens shouldn't be banging away with the harder recoiling calibers while their bone growth plates are active.

If the young lady wants to try a few matches with a .22 conversion that's fine with me.

SKTK135

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, It will be next month probably. I am still teaching her gun handling skills necessary for this type of shooting (its a little different than just shooting into a bullet trap). What the controls do and when to use them, getting out of the holster, mag changes, trigger control etc. When I am comfortable that she is in total control of the pistol I'll let her tag along.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, It will be next month probably. I am still teaching her gun handling skills necessary for this type of shooting (its a little different than just shooting into a bullet trap). What the controls do and when to use them, getting out of the holster, mag changes, trigger control etc. When I am comfortable that she is in total control of the pistol I'll let her tag along.
J if she is still a little uncomfortable let her tag along with you to get the general idea of the match processes.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a thought. A good starting place for a new pistol shooter (of any age) is the Steel Challenge. Rimfire doesn't require a holster, which further simplifies things. Oil Cap shoots Steel Challenge the 4th Sunday, which makes it this Sunday July 26th.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a thought. A good starting place for a new pistol shooter (of any age) is the Steel Challenge. Rimfire doesn't require a holster, which further simplifies things. Oil Cap shoots Steel Challenge the 4th Sunday, which makes it this Sunday July 26th.

and if you cannot make that USSA shoots Steel Challenge on the 1st sunday or the week after next.

SKTK135

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're at church on Sundays so I guess we'll have to wait for the IDPA matches. It's ok though sh'e driving me crazy wanting to do dryfire drills.[/quote]
I'm thinking that this is a good problem to have. Do you want to borrow my Airsoft?

Oh heck no! Then I would have to buy one. Thanks for the offer though. I have a bullet trap in the back yard, makes it easy to practice with .22s.

Latest posts

Top Bottom