If a (hypothetical) amendment were passed to ban guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If a Constitutional amendment passed to replace the 2nd amendment and ban guns, would you

• comply

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • ignore

Votes: 58 96.7%
  • leave

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We often discuss any efforts for 'gun control' in terms of the Constitutional protection we enjoy. "Shall not be infringed" is the common refrain whenever the topic of banning guns, types of guns, ammo capacity, etc. But what if that no longer was the law of the land?

My question is, if guns (or specific guns, etc) were outlawed via Constitutional amendment (i.e. using the the method put forth by the founders), what would you do?

We could debate various scenarios or even whether it's possible, etc, but i tried to put forward three very simply choices that get to the heart of the options.

This isn't about the good or bad of guns or anything like that, but a discussion of a hypothetical where the process was followed to amend the constitution and guns were made illegal and our response to it.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ignore it. At my age, I would be long gone by the time "they" got around to attempting to put it in motion.

But the likelihood of any attempt to even get a bill passed in Congress is very unlikely, and if it did, there would never be enough states that would ratify it.
Oh i fully agree. But many gun owners like to cast themselves as the 'follow the constitution' types so i was genuinely curious what people would do/think if the constitution was changed.

There is a video that pops up from time to time where a retired SCOTUS justice argues that gun control should happen via the prescribed methods of altering the constitution and not via congressional laws. It's always interested me as a hypothetical

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To even put up this hypothetical question means they're getting to ya.
why? I know i'm not the first to suggest it.

It could just as easily be an amendment to outlaw communism as a political party or to superseed the first amendment and establish christianity above all other religions.

It's probably more a question of what people would do with regards to a major shift in something we've grown up believing was a fundamental right. I just picked guns because we are here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom