If I was to reload .45 hollow points...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I use a lead round nose 230 grain bullet when I reload. I wouldn't have to change anything to reload a 230 grain hollow point would I?

Just wondering since they are the same grain of bullet, it wouldn't matter would it? I am fairly new to reloading. Thanks guys.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You will be fine . as long as you are not pushing the limit with the lead loads.
I have a friend that pushes the 230gr lead to just about 1200 fps with power pistol and steel cases!! yeoww don't go there
on your loads .
You should get a book though.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're switching to a jacketed bullet, you can load to a greater velocity than lead. There are always some minor adjustments to the dies as well when switching from one type of bullet to another..

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're switching to a jacketed bullet, you can load to a greater velocity than lead. There are always some minor adjustments to the dies as well when switching from one type of bullet to another..

HUH!!!

In 45 ACP lead and jacketed can do the same speed as long as pressures are safe, it just takes less powder with the lead because of less friction.
He didn't day anything about the HP being jacketed anyway, it could be lead.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is the problem. Without knowing what type/brand of components you are using there is no way to say this is safe. It will depend on where the seating stem contacts the bullet. If the bullets are dimensionally different, then your COAL can vary. This might or might not be dangerous but could also lead to feeding issues. Just measure the COAL of the rounds with both components to ensure you are within specifications. It is way too easy to adjust the seater stem to not take the time and do it right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom