If you don't vote, don't complain...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you vote in every election (local, state, federal)? Do you do your due diligence in researching every candidate?
I do my best to and make every effort. The only time I don’t is when I am away for work and was not aware an election was happening with enough advance notice.

Neither candidate is perfect but I still owe it to my forefathers (and myself) to fill in a circle at election time.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s my issue with this type of statement.

Your way of thinking has led to these Republican nominees since 2000.

Bush
Bush
Romney
McCain
Trump
Trump
Trump

In 24 years, all I have to show for listening to people like you is assault weapons aren't banned. The economy is in shambles, we’re 35 trillion in debt, and if I don’t vote for the same guy for 3 straight elections I’m the guy who should commit suicide?

24 years of the same broken promises by this party. My health insurance costs more than my mortgage and our nominee has no plan. Literally has no plan. That’s insane. My property taxes are 75% of my mortgage, and we have to homeschool because our schools are so terrible. And our party has no plan for either.

It’s not liberal policies that have led here, it’s piss poor leadership from republicans and a voting bloc that has no spine. You can blame democrats all you want, but republicans have squandered several super majorities.

I don’t agree with not voting, but being an a-hole to someone about it is dumb.
I was not trying to be rude or a jerk about it! If I came across that way to @FlyGuyGSP my apologies. I grew up and my parents instilled on my that one votes. It is an alien concept to me for someone not to vote at this time in history. All I know is we have one side that is actively a threat to our Constitution. Now, am I saying that solely on the 2nd Amendment, no. I am saying this based on the assault to our 1st Amendment and 4th Amendment. I agree that many democratic voters are good people, however they are being mislead IMHO. Is Trump a saviour (pardon the religious juxtaposition) our nation? No, but he is at this time and this election the closest thing we have. Now as to what led to bad nominees? People in office way to long, political dynasties and inhaling the rarified air inside the beltway. Also we as voters. It wasn't until 2016 that I really started voting consistently in all elections and votes. Think I am going to register republican instead of independent so I can vote in the primaries.

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do my best to and make every effort. The only time I don’t is when I am away for work and was not aware an election was happening with enough advance notice.

Neither candidate is perfect but I still owe it to my forefathers (and myself) to fill in a circle at election time.
That sounds ok to me. Glad you give yourself some grace when you miss a few.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was not trying to be rude or a jerk about it! If I came across that way to @FlyGuyGSP my apologies. I grew up and my parents instilled on my that one votes. It is an alien concept to me for someone not to vote at this time in history. All I know is we have one side that is actively a threat to our Constitution. Now, am I saying that solely on the 2nd Amendment, no. I am saying this based on the assault to our 1st Amendment and 4th Amendment. I agree that many democratic voters are good people, however they are being mislead IMHO. Is Trump a saviour (pardon the religious juxtaposition) our nation? No, but he is at this time and this election the closest thing we have. Now as to what led to bad nominees? People in office way to long, political dynasties and inhaling the rarified air inside the beltway. Also we as voters. It wasn't until 2016 that I really started voting consistently in all elections and votes. Think I am going to register republican instead of independent so I can vote in the primaries.
I understand what you’re saying, but the voting process cuts both ways. If you don’t vote, you can’t complain, but if you vote for someone, you’re responsible for their policies.

Although I feel voting is an imperative responsibility of American citizens, I also feel completely disenfranchised by a system of politics that I have no voice in.

I don’t feel like Trump represents me or my family well. I disagree with his beliefs on the place of governments, his fiscal policy, and his foreign policy. If I were to vote for him, I have to accept the consequences from that.

It’s not as simple as, he’s the only choice so choose him. Voting is a real responsibility, and all of us should reflect very deeply on the choice we make. This election, in particular, will have major ramifications.

If Trump gets elected and does nothing about the national debt other than add to it, I’ll have to answer to my children why I voted for him. “Because he was better than the other guy” isn’t a good enough response for me anymore. It shouldn’t be good enough for anyone in my opinion.

If someone feels strongly that Trump doesn't represent their values, but neither does Kamala, I wouldn’t call them careless or a bad citizen. It’s the fault of all of us who sat idly by while our entire political system became dominated by only 2 parties.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard that before, that a high percentage of gun owners aren't even registered, similar numbers for Christians.
If those 2 groups could get motivated the dems wouldn't win again.
I watched a live report where the Amish are getting out and registering to vote for the first time in history for most and all that was interviewed was voting Trump

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand what you’re saying, but the voting process cuts both ways. If you don’t vote, you can’t complain, but if you vote for someone, you’re responsible for their policies.

Although I feel voting is an imperative responsibility of American citizens, I also feel completely disenfranchised by a system of politics that I have no voice in.

I don’t feel like Trump represents me or my family well. I disagree with his beliefs on the place of governments, his fiscal policy, and his foreign policy. If I were to vote for him, I have to accept the consequences from that.

It’s not as simple as, he’s the only choice so choose him. Voting is a real responsibility, and all of us should reflect very deeply on the choice we make. This election, in particular, will have major ramifications.

If Trump gets elected and does nothing about the national debt other than add to it, I’ll have to answer to my children why I voted for him. “Because he was better than the other guy” isn’t a good enough response for me anymore. It shouldn’t be good enough for anyone in my opinion.

If someone feels strongly that Trump doesn't represent their values, but neither does Kamala, I wouldn’t call them careless or a bad citizen. It’s the fault of all of us who sat idly by while our entire political system became dominated by only 2 parties.
I get that that we tend to berate our fellow citizens based on who they voted for. However if I vote for someone based on their platform and they do precisely the opposite, or something different, that's on them, not me. I tend to believe that Trump will:

Through his best efforts try to end the Ukraine war and stop paying for it
Negotiate Better Trade with other Nations
Try to Stop the war in the Middle East
Appoint somewhat Good Justices in the Supreme Court if needed
The Border and influx of illegal immigrants. (replacing US voters) No parties in the future.
Negotiate with US Companies to manufacture in the US
National Debt - He knows debt better than most people. Getting rid of Gov't agencies and waste would definitely be a step in the right direction, Elon Musk will help
Keep Taxes low, increase GDP Growth

Going to war is what it appears Congress and harris wants, can't pay Nat'l debt after a nuclear war. Going to war will just increase the national debt. Voting for a warmonger who may stupidly get us involved in a Nuclear Conflict would be far worse for children and grandchildren...

As for parties too late now, but better chances next time.

Alas, I respectfully disagree, I do not share your opinion but respect it.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get that that we tend to berate our fellow citizens based on who they voted for. However if I vote for someone based on their platform and they do precisely the opposite, or something different, that's on them, not me. I tend to believe that Trump will:

Through his best efforts try to end the Ukraine war and stop paying for it
Negotiate Better Trade with other Nations
Try to Stop the war in the Middle East
Appoint somewhat Good Justices in the Supreme Court if needed
Negotiate with US Companies to manufacture in the US
National Debt - He knows debt better than most people. Getting rid of Gov't agencies and waste would definitely be a step in the right direction, Elon Musk will help
Keep Taxes low, increase GDP Growth

Going to war is what it appears Congress and harris wants, can't pay Nat'l debt after a nuclear war. Going to war will just increase the national debt. Voting for a warmonger who may stupidly get us involved in a Nuclear Conflict would be far worse for children and grandchildren...

Alas, I respectfully disagree, I do not share your opinion but respect it.
If there were 1 item you think Trump will do that you don't believe/support, what would that be? Or something that you'd want him to do that most likely he won't? Not trying to start an argument either.

What really irks me these days is the push for an all or nothing kind of approach. You're either supporting 100% of his/her agenda or you're the enemy. That's how I read it(not just here but all msm). There used to be something referred to as a "moderate" where, gasp, you actually think each side offers something you value/support and go with the one who has more check marks in their column.

Is it truly political suicide to say your predecessor did something right and will be kept in place but want to change other aspects of the prior administration? I don't see what's wrong with that. Now, when it's someone going for a second term like Trump then I understand zero endorsements.

Now, I'll take my bat and baseball home before the bashing begins!

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If there were 1 item you think Trump will do that you don't believe/support, what would that be? Or something that you'd want him to do that most likely he won't? Not trying to start an argument either.

What really irks me these days is the push for an all or nothing kind of approach. You're either supporting 100% of his/her agenda or you're the enemy. That's how I read it(not just here but all msm). There used to be something referred to as a "moderate" where, gasp, you actually think each side offers something you value/support and go with the one who has more check marks in their column.

Is it truly political suicide to say your predecessor did something right and will be kept in place but want to change other aspects of the prior administration? I don't see what's wrong with that. Now, when it's someone going for a second term like Trump then I understand zero endorsements.

Now, I'll take my bat and baseball home before the bashing begins!
Tariffs - not a huge fan, if used he'll need to be very strategic or else we will pay the price with the economy. The risk of not voting for him out weighs the risk of harris in office.

Latest posts

Top Bottom