Illinois flies (fly fishing)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the gar hole was still below Overholser I'd take you there! really not being mean you would have so much freakin' fun, some nylon twine and a 7 or 8wt rod and catch freshwater tarpon (gar) before they did all the work on the dam it was just too much fun when we were not having any luck on hybrids we would go to the gar hole and oh my what a blast. I would really like to find some folks that can teach me how to catch carp on a flyrod, I have heard that is awesome great fun also just don't have a clue as to how to catch them.

I tried my hand down here in Louisiana and thought I'd hit the coastal marshes for reds and specs, didn't have a clue what I was doing or where to go but I thought I'd figure it out as I went. Well I didn't catch anything! found out that your wasting your time if you don't have a boat! best thing I found out is that you don't wade in the marsh! after a 15 minute fight to get out of the muck that had me up to my doo dads and looking like a pig that had just got out of a mudhole I thought it best I called it a day.

dustingaunder, best thing to do is just go! I gave up on waiting for people to go with and just went probably much better so my buddies didn't laugh too bad and I got time to figure out some stuff. Since then my little brother has picked up the flyrod after I skunked him on bass in HIS pond :-) since then I have found many other that I go with now and again but I still like those trips by myself somedays I just find it peaceful and you can really get your head cleared out. Might see you on the stream! Later,

Kirk

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a dozen grey, tan, orange bead head #18 scuds and a dozen #20 Zebra midge's. Don't laugh I ordered them from a guy in Washington state :-) I tried to tie one and well I need a magnifyer to tie the dang things! I'm working so many hours down here in Louisiana that I just said heck with it and knew I'd not have the time and I found out my standard jaws on my vice are too big so I need to order the smaller jaws which I need to do here pretty soon. Ya know the sad thing, the guy in Washington's prices on the flies is cheap enough I may just stop tying! NAH :screwy: I got some mirco chennel the other day to tie some real small buggers and I need to get some different leaders as the #12 buggers were twisting the heck out of my leader think I was using a too small of leader! anyway if anyone is going to be on the Lower Illinois river the 16th and 17th shout I'll be staying at Mar-Val just look for the White crew cab 2500 at one of the cabins it'll be me and my LB feel free to swing by and bs. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom