I'm going to tell you a story

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About this. I see the RM43 at Atwoods when I go look for the glyphosate I normally use. Question for ya. I mow my plots really low about early August. Let the weeds and other crap start to grow back up until about early Sept then spray glyphosate on them. Ideally, let it kill off everything for 10 days to two weeks. Then on one weekend will rototill with my tractor, drag it and reseed with what I want to plant that year for the deer food plot. If I were to use the RM43 would it last too long and also kill off the food plot seed I plant or would I be OK like when using the glyphosate? Last food plot prep season I got behind and rototilled about a week after applying the glyphosate and the food plots grew like crazy so the so the herbicide didn't affect the new seed I put down. Same with RM43 or does it last in the soil much longer?
I only use RM43 on grass that grows in my driveway and around the perimeter of my house to keep from weedeating, so I can’t specifically answer your question. However, I would be afraid to use it in a food plot.
This isn’t on topic, but I’m going to express my opinion on spraying food plots since you brought it up.
I don’t see the point. If I was planting a grain crop to harvest later, I’d spray, but for a seasonal “deer” food plot, it’s a waste of time and money in my opinion. I’ve planted a bunch of food plots and been really successful using till and no till methods, and I’ve never sprayed a chemical on any of them. :anyone:

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only use RM43 on grass that grows in my driveway and around the perimeter of my house to keep from weedeating, so I can’t specifically answer your question. However, I would be afraid to use it in a food plot.
This isn’t on topic, but I’m going to express my opinion on spraying food plots since you brought it up.
I don’t see the point. If I was planting a grain crop to harvest later, I’d spray, but for a seasonal “deer” food plot, it’s a waste of time and money in my opinion. I’ve planted a bunch of food plots and been really successful using till and no till methods, and I’ve never sprayed a chemical on any of them. :anyone:

Interesting! Do you have problems with weeds and other crap growing up in your food plots or is it something that happens and you don't worry about it?

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I have several gravel drives and parking areas. I too use the RM43 with wonderful results.

I mix it in a couple of old water fire extinguishers, air them up to 110 or so psi and coat the gravel areas, the extinguishers make short work, as they will spray 30ft or more. I do this once a year and nothing comes up. I use it on fence lines and around barns. It has soil activity for 12 months. I found that it will work for longer, but the beginning of each summer I soak the gravel areas and barns and zilch grows! I like it.

Now on spot spray and areas and around plants and trees I use Roundup and am careful where it is sprayed.

I also use the pressure extinguishers to spray for bag worms, again they will spray up and over 30ft. I use Permethrin for bag worms. Cheap at local Tractor Supply/Attwoods.

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting! Do you have problems with weeds and other crap growing up in your food plots or is it something that happens and you don't worry about it?

@retrieverman stated no use on a food plot. I back that up that statement with hands on knowledge, it WILL BARE THE GROUND for over a year! Bad mojo on where you want to grow something.

I also agree that it is a waste to spray food plots for deer/wildlife.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve got weeds in my plots but only until the first frost, and I’ve never seen a deer walk away because there’s weeds in the wheat.🤣

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several gravel drives and parking areas. I too use the RM43 with wonderful results.

I mix it in a couple of old water fire extinguishers, air them up to 110 or so psi and coat the gravel areas, the extinguishers make short work, as they will spray 30ft or more. I do this once a year and nothing comes up. I use it on fence lines and around barns. It has soil activity for 12 months. I found that it will work for longer, but the beginning of each summer I soak the gravel areas and barns and zilch grows! I like it.

Now on spot spray and areas and around plants and trees I use Roundup and am careful where it is sprayed.

I also use the pressure extinguishers to spray for bag worms, again they will spray up and over 30ft. I use Permethrin for bag worms. Cheap at local Tractor Supply/Attwoods.
Ahhhh, great info. Thanks. I did spray glyphosate on my gravel drive and parking areas several months ago and it killed everything off. However, now, since we've had a good bit of rain on and off the last several months the weeds have exploded and are now worse than ever around the shop gravel areas and parking spots. Appreciate the clarification.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got weeds in my plots but only until the first frost, and I’ve never seen a deer walk away because there’s weeds in the wheat.🤣
Yup, same here. Sometimes I can't tell the wheat from the weeds in October, but by the end of November they look like golfing greens surrounded by brown.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I tried a mixture like this a few years ago. It only killed off what was above ground and a week or so later you couldn't tell that it had been sprayed. It grew right back. Waste of time IMO.

Correct, sounds like a good alternative to the "environmentalists" and to save a buck, but it doesn't kill anything like a herbicide will.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Depends on what your "weeds" are and rainfall. If your "weeds" are crabgrass, your plot will get snuffed out quickly. High temps, good rainfall and a decent crabgrass invasion and that stuff will be knee high in three weeks and your plot seeds won't make it, not enough water to support both and the crabgrass will shade the rest out except for maybe grain sorghum. I'm referring to spring/summer plots also. Weeds are not a big deal for fall/winter plots.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glyphosate is designed to spray, kill everything and be safe to replant in 7 days.

It "kills" by stimulating faster growth than the root system can support. The plant "starves" to death. In the soil, the glyphosate breaks down to ammonia.
Thereby, environment friendly.

+1 on spraying deer plots. Spot spraying on heavy weeds is desirable, but we have never carpet sprayed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom