I'm thinking about installing a tornado shelter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't really like the idea of parking a vehicle outside, but I'm thinking about sacrificing half my garage for a tornado shelter.

I'd like something above grade so that in a worst case scenario the occupants aren't buried under rubble. Large enough to sleep in, in those nights where the storm system is so large it's impossible to tell exactly where the tornadoes are coming from.

In our part of Oklahoma, the ground isn't conducive to below ground. Shelters fill up with water. Very clayey soil.

Recommendations from those who have done this?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about one too. I don't have a garage, so I'd have to have one installed in the back yard. Thinking about some prepping items to store in it.

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to be the safest you can be......you need an in-ground. The good thing about an in-ground shelter is that you won't have to sacrifice your parking spot and they can be retrofitted. They come in, cut the slab, bring in their little backhoe (designed to fit inside a standard garage, dig the hole, install the shelter, reenforce the shelter with concrete and refinish your slab. There are several different types of lids; rolling, retractable, etc.

You can pull your car in and over the door. Door will be more towards the garage door. Slide hatch back and slide into shelter.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to be the safest you can be......you need an in-ground.

I've thought about a storm shelter too, but the problem with an in-ground unit is that it's a lot harder to herd your pets down narrow steps into a hole, than through a door and into a room. It might not be logical, but there's no way I'm leaving my dogs to fend for themselves! Same goes for residents with limited mobility, such as aged folks and those in a wheelchair.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've thought about a storm shelter too, but the problem with an in-ground unit is that it's a lot harder to herd your pets down narrow steps into a hole, than through a door and into a room. It might not be logical, but there's no way I'm leaving my dogs to fend for themselves! Same goes for residents with limited mobility, such as aged folks and those in a wheelchair.

Even given that reason, in-ground is absolutely the safest. Those above ground shelters are designed to sustain the winds values yes, but debris like this storm created would take one of those shelters out easily. All it would take is a car flying through the air to completely destroy a above ground shelter. If your gonna spend the money for safety get the best safety you can. Granted maybe a little more pain in the butt to get into but if you register it locally with the police department they will know where to come search after events like this.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even given that reason, in-ground is absolutely the safest. Those above ground shelters are designed to sustain the winds values yes, but debris like this storm created would take one of those shelters out easily. All it would take is a car flying through the air to completely destroy a above ground shelter. If your gonna spend the money for safety get the best safety you can. Granted maybe a little more pain in the butt to get into but if you register it locally with the police department they will know where to come search after events like this.

You may have total belief in that statement but I do not think it is necessarily correct. But like someone posted earlier, I am interested to see how various shelter types did in this tornado. Flooding and greater risk of being trapped during a fire following a tornado are some negatives to the in-ground garage shelters. Outside in-ground shelters put you at risk when you are running to get into one.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You think one of those above ground shelters could survive a car being tossed at it? They are simply anchored into the concrete slab, nothing special. I know they test fire 2x4's at them at high speeds but a wood 2x4 doesn't carry the load a car flying through the air does.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've been hearing about below ground fiber glass shelters being sheared off and sucked out of the ground by this one. above ground shelters are just coffins. go below ground, and go with concrete.

Latest posts

Top Bottom