improved cylinder versus modified?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am ready

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I shot my new gun over the holiday. It is just a cheap mossberg 12 ga, but it is a dandy. It only came with one choke. Modified. It is very accurate at 50 yards with slugs. The box of slugs say an ic is recommended for best results. I wanted to test it at longer ranges, but the area I wanted for that was occupied. Anyway, how much better would an ic be than the modified that I have? Also, I had to remove the plug bcuz it only allowed 3 shells at a time. It holds up to six. We are allowed to have 5 or 6 in while deer hunting right? The 3 is just for birds I assume?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Slugs tend to work better if you don't distort them in a tight choke. I can't quantify just how much better.
2. The 3 shell limit is generally a Federal rule for migratory birds, like ducks and dove. Although some hunting areas may have special rules, like limiting the ammunition carried, in general there is no capacity limit on other upland game and deer. However, I doubt a deer is going to stay around for you to shoot at him more than 3 times, as a practical matter.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
improved cylinder is also good for the larger steel shot for goose. the steel shot does not conform in the choke like lead does. if you are pass shooting, then mod will work better. if you are hunting over decoys,then IC works better.
as a hunter over decoys, i never take out the IC except for turkey.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just want to clarify on a point.

No matter what you are hunting, if it's season overlaps with a migratory bird (Dove, Ducks, Geese, etc), you must have the plug installed.

Slugs are being squeezed down pretty tight in a modified choke. I'd get a IC tube (they're cheap enough from Bass Pro Shops) and try it. Pick the one you think shoots best. Just make sure you're using lead rifled slugs. I wouldn't shoot sabots out of anything but a rifled barrel or a rifled slug choke tube.

I am ready

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. I got the imp cyl tube. It seems like the accuracy is not as good now, but that is probably just me. I am going back to happy hollow Tuesday and trying again. Either way it is still accurate enough to take a deer at 100 yards. It actually shoots high at 100 yards. I just need to keep practicing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I got the imp cyl tube. It seems like the accuracy is not as good now, but that is probably just me. I am going back to happy hollow Tuesday and trying again. Either way it is still accurate enough to take a deer at 100 yards. It actually shoots high at 100 yards. I just need to keep practicing.

Slugs, like the older style forester slugs are designed to shoot through any choke. Some chokes may be more accurate than others. The say to shoot thru an improved cylinder because that is what their lawyers told them to do.

Some of the newer slugs will be much more accurate with a rifled slug gun designed for this type of round. You can get a barrel for your gun that does this..

I am ready

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the inexpensive mossberg maverick 88. Where would I get a rifled barrel and how much are they? If they are close to 100 bucks then I am just going to keep saving up for my 30.06

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Just want to clarify on a point.

No matter what you are hunting, if it's season overlaps with a migratory bird (Dove, Ducks, Geese, etc), you must have the plug installed.

Slugs are being squeezed down pretty tight in a modified choke. I'd get a IC tube (they're cheap enough from Bass Pro Shops) and try it. Pick the one you think shoots best. Just make sure you're using lead rifled slugs. I wouldn't shoot sabots out of anything but a rifled barrel or a rifled slug choke tube.

this. also i almost never take the plug out. the only time is pheasant hunting in kansas. if i'm gonna drive five hours, i want as many cracks at them as i can get. if you leave it in then you never have to worry about being legal. also if you can't hit your target with three shots its time for some practice!

Latest posts

Top Bottom