improved cylinder versus modified?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ch1966

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just want to clarify on a point.

No matter what you are hunting, if it's season overlaps with a migratory bird (Dove, Ducks, Geese, etc), you must have the plug installed.

Citation?

All I've seen in the regs is this:

Restrictions

No person shall take migratory game birds:

• With a shotgun capable of holding more than three (3) shells, in the magazine and chamber combined, unless otherwise provided.

ch1966

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, big ticket.

You misunderstand.

I can't find anything in the regs that says if you're in the field during migratory bird season, that you have to have your magazine limited.

The regs say specifically:

• With a shotgun capable of holding more than three (3) shells, in the magazine and chamber combined, unless otherwise provided.

It says nothing about using the described shotgun for other hunting (deer, coyotes, pigs....) during migratory bird season.
I would like to see the reg in print (a citation of the reg).......

The reg I cited deals only with the taking of migratory birds.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You misunderstand.

I can't find anything in the regs that says if you're in the field during migratory bird season, that you have to have your magazine limited.

The regs say specifically:

It says nothing about using the described shotgun for other hunting (deer, coyotes, pigs....) during migratory bird season.
I would like to see the reg in print (a citation of the reg).......

The reg I cited deals only with the taking of migratory birds.

I'm thinking that if one is sitting in a deer stand with a shotgun loaded with lead slugs during deer season, and duck season is on, no GW is going to say a word. Regs say that nothing larger than BB and must be steel shot, plugged gun...etc for ducks, so would one be "technically be in violation" with lead slugs during an overlap of deer/duck?
Its an enforcment issue.
Have lead slugs while sitting in a duck blind...your in trouble. Takes a GW about 10 seconds with a magnet to determine if your legal.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll see if I can find it in a hard copy of the regs. I've found the online regs aren't always 100% complete.

And then again, the regs have changed so much over the last few years they may have eliminated that. It also used to be illegal to rabbit hunt on a waterfowl refuge with an unplugged gun, and with lead shot.

ch1966

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason why I ask is that I hunt a lot in the fall with an unplugged magazine and lead shot.
I have asked a warden about this before, and he didn't have a problem with it.
One thing I do know about OK regs is that if it's not spelled out, then it's open to interpretation. This is why I look for specific language.

I do know that some migratory bird refuges in the state are nontoxic shot only.
The regs also state that if you are taking waterfowl, then you cannot possess lead shot at all on your person.

I do not believe it is illegal to have an unplugged shotgun during migratory bird seasons unless you are taking migratory birds.

Of course I may be wrong. But that's why I ask. I'd rather be wrong on the internet, than be wrong in the field.

Uncle Bobby

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might be better off shooting OO buck instead of slugs if you are using an unrifled barrel. Keep saving for the 30-06, it is a deer gun for sure. Then you don't have to worry about a plug or steel shot or choke or waterfowl regs. you can just go shoot them!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might be better off shooting OO buck instead of slugs if you are using an unrifled barrel. Keep saving for the 30-06, it is a deer gun for sure. Then you don't have to worry about a plug or steel shot or choke or waterfowl regs. you can just go shoot them!

Unfortunately 00 buck is not legal for any game in Ok.
don't know why, because #4 buck is the shot of choice for the dog hunters in the Carolina's.
Military used 00 buck very effectively in the jungle in the 60's and 70's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom