Info about the firing range at Lexington WMA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you just want to go out and just shoot stuff then it fits the bill but if you want to have a more serious session then go to a real range.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shame somebody doesn't get up a group to clean that place up. Never been there, but I've always heard its a trash dump.

Isn't that where that old guy got beat up and his guns stolen?

i have a buddy that lives 2 miles from there,we have cleaned it a few times........doesn't last long

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked up the official information regarding the firing range at the Lexington Wildlife Management Area, and the address I got was 180th and York Road. I looked up this address on Google Maps and it showed a three-way intersection on blacktop, but I couldn't see a firing range. Anybody been out there? Could you tell me where to go from that intersection in order to find the gun range? I don't want to drive down there and not be able to find it. Thanks for your help.

I am free most of the time, I would go shoot with you, down there. I will even bring a few trash sacks to help pick up some stuff.

Speaking of that, why don't OSA have a shoot there and trash pick up? I would be in for helping.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot there a lot..Ranger will usually be there on Monday and one of his jobs it to clean it all up.
It gets cleaned every week!
Can't tell most of the time though.. i have seen it clean a few times.
I take out my fair share of trash and then some.
I go alone and never had any issues..I hunt alone and I fish alone most of the time.
I have had people scared of me in southeastern OK.
City boys that have heard the horror stories, that is who get scared.
But you never know.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FamousAJ and I went out there about a month ago, it was still pretty rough. Trash can's over flowing, and people leaving stuff. AJ and I were talking about getting a group together to do a clean up. I'm sure if a dozen of more of us got out there early on a Saturday, and took up all the parking, we could keep other's at bay and clean the joint up.

I've had nothing but good experiences out there with people, never had any safety issues. Last time I went, we shut down every 30 min or so, so that everyone could walk the range, set up new targets/take down old ones, no safety issues there either. I just wish they had some sort of permanent something to put targets on.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunt and fish out there alone all the time. I also take my boys down there to hunt and fish. I've met many fine folks out there over the past 15 years or so. One guy gave me some bass lures at Lake Dahlgren that he was catching some good bass on. Another fella let me and my son tag along with him and his beagles on a rabbit hunt. Met a guy at the range last year that had good tips for sighting in my rifle and how to find good deer on the WMA. Generally, I meet good people there.

However, usually at the range it's a different story. One guy constantly picked up brass around our feet as we were firing. He could barely talk or even say thanks. I think he was "special". Another couldn't stop asking, "Do you want that brass? Do you want that brass?" Other times there have been kids there muzzle-sweeping everyone. One guy brought two old T.V.s out, shot 'em up with his 12 gauge and left them there.

I love going to Lex and fishing at the ponds, or taking the kids and the .22 out for some squirrel hunting. Honestly though, the range gives me the heebie-jeebies. But........it's free.

Latest posts

Top Bottom