Info on Sandy Sanders WMA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mossyoak

Could anyone tell me anything about how the turkey hunting is on Sandy Sanders WMA or Black Kettle? Are there many turkeys on Sandy Sanders?

firewalker600

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I hunted for the first time out at Sandy Sanders and it was a tough but educational hunt for deer. I didn't see any turkey, only one feather. Not sure how good it is since this was my only time to hunt the area. I know that it is tough country to hunt and one of the most unique landscapes in Oklahoma. Hard hunting. 4x4 recomended to drive the rough roads.

Black Kettle has a lot of turkey and all the good spots will have more hunters than you can shake a stick at. I thought opening of Deer gun was bad until I hunted Turkey there and realized deer gun was nothing compared to spring turkey hunting. I think a guy could have some good luck during the week, but as for the weekends it crazy. If you go out to give it a try take your predator gear for a backup plain. There is a lot of coyotes and have had some real good hunts for spring time coyote. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
:wave:

bernardderek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
internet scouter.......There are no turkeys in Oklahoma. They are all down in Texas. Join a forum there and ask....they will tell you all of their hotspots. I seen a bunch of turkeys at 38° 53' 52" N / 77° 2' 13" W. You should check that out. :)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
internet scouter.......There are no turkeys in Oklahoma. They are all down in Texas. Join a forum there and ask....they will tell you all of their hotspots. I seen a bunch of turkeys at 38° 53' 52" N / 77° 2' 13" W. You should check that out. :)

LOL, I always thought that those group of birds should have been given their own subspecies name. You know it's a proven fact, those birds almost never leave their roost when they get there!:laugh6:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw one huge flock of 'em while dove hunting in Sandy Sanders one year. Ended up calling the warden after a guy down the tree line from us opened up on the flock....

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent a part of the afternoon watching and rubbing the head of a young jake rio yesterday. This "yard bird" has called in 2 flocks of wild birds that frequent the front yard now. A landowner friend of who I was with had the bright idea of seeing what the jake would do with a hen decoy. We could not shoot any video because we were laughing too hard. The bird walked up to the decoy and pecked it, then proceeded to jump the deke, break the supporting stake, and repeatedly bred the flattened deke. Let's just say that the deke needed to be rinsed off afterwards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom