Interviewed on TV following mall shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I happened to be in a gunstore/range today when the local News anchor walked in. He was doing a story about CCW following the mall shooting in our state yesterday.

Long story short, he miked me up and asked me questions. I had some pretty good answers, I thought, as I've considered concealed carry for quite awhile. Many of his questions were similar to ones I'd been asked informally for years.

He had to get an opposite view after leaving, so I was curious who he'd found, since he noted there are no anti-gun ranges around. He found a retired FBI agent whose only point was having CCW holders on scene can make it difficult for the responding cops to sort out who's who. I suppose he likes the other way better: the good guys are the ones dead, the badguys the ones that got away.

The News anchor grew up in NY and was not anti-gun, really, but he clearly didn't understand the pro-gun side at all. He'd never fired a handgun and didn't want to......but me and the store clerk convinced him to do it. I gave him mini-lesson starting with safety, etc, then had him shoot 15 rounds total out of the range rental XD-m. He did pretty well, wanted to keep the target and one spent casing.

He said this was now his favorite story, ever. (replacing some story about dog sleds, apparently....)

The telecast had me saying things I never said, but overall, it was a good pro-gun story.

I gave him my card and invited him to give me a call if he ever wanted to shoot again.

This could happen to you, so it might be a good idea to have certain responses and short, reasoned arguments ready to go.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good answers. I'm usually unimpressed by the editing of stories like this where they make the gun owner look dumb, but I think they did you at least SOME justice.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep hearing that malls don't allow guns .............since when??

Is there some kind of law???

Or just the normal gunbuster BS???

It looks like the bad guys aren't obeying what ever is on the doors.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
David,
I think you did a very nice job. In fact, I would be willing to bet that your answers helped to shape this story. If you had been an idiot, the story likely would have had a much more anti-gun sentiment. The fact that you seemed like a reasonable, articulate, and responsible gun owner squashed any desire the reporter might have had to make this an anti-gun story.

John Zane

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good job David. Looks like they put a good spin on it. I have carried my weapon in the mall and will do it again. It is only a trespassing citation if caught. Well worth it in my opinion. I am not saying anyone should break the law. I am only stateing what I do and I will continue to do. Everone makes there own choices and is responsible for there own actions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom