IPhone Apps?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't try to fish and text and your iphone at the same time. It may or may not end up in Lake Texoma. Don't ask me how I know, just trust me.

I'm android now, iphones are for girls.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do they have Hustler in those e-books?

Oh Crap!! your introducing another distraction to these Iphone addicts!:D

Actually I spend all day in the stand during rut and lots of hours otherwise. I pass the time by reading paperback novels by Grisham and others.
We have a second hand paperback store in town (nothing even PG-13 on the shelves) where one can get paperbacks for about 1/4 of the price.
I love to read anyway, so this makes it easier to spend the time waiting on the biggun.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's one that's great for fishing - Navionics Lakes South. I think it was ten or fifteen bucks. Seems high, but you get a lot of the same features you see in the $100 SD card version for the boat graphs.

Actual screenshot from my phone:

ai291.photobucket.com_albums_ll306_Teeeroy_bucket_Temp_LakesSouthScreenshot.jpg

Another great one is Radarscope. Handy for knowing how bad the weather is coming your way. It's $10 I think.

ai291.photobucket.com_albums_ll306_Teeeroy_bucket_Temp_RadarscopeScreenshot.jpg

Looks like you get the same reception as I do with my iPhone!

DownDeep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got the AccuTerra Unlimited App and like it alot. Great GPS App that will work without any cell phone and data service. You can download differant maps and save waypoints and notes.
I also got the HuntMate pro App, but still playing with it.... so far I don't like it too all that well. Especially for the money that it costs.

RackStacker30

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Winchester has their ballistics calculator program available as an App for the I-Phone. Should come in handy at the range.

I generally just use Google maps while in the field to mark tree stands and navigate my way to certain landmarks. As others have mentioned, this doesn't work so well when a data connection is not available. This seems to happen quite a bit in certain locations around Canton Lake.

Reaction score
Update on Apple GPS apps for hunting/fishing/hiking/backpacking, etc.:

I have now downloaded SEVEN different apps which purport to allow you to download maps and use the GPS app without a signal (by downloading the map onto the device's memory), -- five free ones and two pay ones (so far):

1. First the dire warning: Do NOT buy "Trails" or "GPS Trails" by Felix Lamouroux - it is absolute unmitigated dog poop, for map functionality & intuitiveness. It doesn't even have a satellite / aerial view function - worst $4 I've ever spend in my life. Horrid, horrid junk app. All 4 of the Free ones listed below (#3 through #7 on my list here) are far better than this $4 app, easily, for mapping / basic GPS function, and overall as well. I just found out that it also does have a free version, if you want to see how bad it is.

2. Next, the one I paid $6 for - "Pocket Outfitter", from Hunter's Image, LLC. It's pretty darned good, not great, but worth $6 I think - the public lands are shown in topo map mode, including Okla. WMAs. Very user friendly. Thumbs up.

Next, the FREE ones - you can't go wrong with any of these, being ya know, free:

3. "Accuterra - On Demand Maps & GPS Tracker", from Intermap Technologies - cursory overview looks good - more detail later...

4. "Memory Map Free", from Memory Map Inc. - cursory glance looks good - more detail later - is upgradeable to a $33 full version.

5. "Location Tracking GPS 4.0 Lite", from Bin Zao - cursory overview looks good - more detail later...

6. "MotionX GPS Lite", from Fullpower Technologies, Inc. - not looked at yet - more detail later...

7. "GPS - Trk 2 Lite" from hc-eng - not looked at yet - more detail later...

There are lots and lots of other free, $1, $2, and $3 basic GPS apps which do NOT claim to work without an internet connection (i.e. without a 3G signal), and several PAY ones that DO have this feature. It is conceivable, but doubtful, that some of these other free and cheap ones that don't claim to work without a connection, actually WILL, but just don't advertise that feature.

Hopefully I'll eventually be able to do a full review for you guys on these free ones and pocket outfitter, and possibly some of their pay-ugrade big brothers..

Latest posts

Top Bottom