Iron Sights - Buckhorn Sight Picture

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know how it’s supposed to be done and I know how it’s supposed to look.

Does anyone do anything “different” from what it is ‘posed to look like?

I do. I set the bead at the very bottom of the buckhorn, and dead on the target, not below.

Anyone else do anything like that?

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is what I do, jakeman

Thought that was how it was suppose to be or it was how i was taught as a kid.

That’s the way I was taught as well. Aim small miss small. I was a teenager before I shot a friend’s rifle and couldn’t hit anything with it. We discussed sight picture and his was set with the top of the post level with the top of the blade and the target centered above the post. I thought that was goofy, cause that wasn’t the way I was taught. But that’s the way he was taught, and he was as good a shot with his gun as I was with mine. When I changed my sight picture I could shoot his, but not as fine as I could shoot mine. It’s been that way ever since. I’ve never met anyone that set theirs the way I do mine. All my shooting friends set the top of the post with the top of the blade.

I’ve seen lots of places that describe it that way. I was just curious how others did it. I don’t plan on changing, cause like you guys, that’s the way I was taught as a kid.

Anyhow, I appreciate the responses, and knowing I’m not alone out here.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Always used the bottom notch for 100yds and in and the inside of the buckhorn for brush gun use.

I never knew it was a ranging sight until awhile back when looking through the internet and saved a bunch of pics.
Buckhorn-rear-sight-near.jpg
Buckhorn-rear-sight-midrange.jpg
Buckhorn-rear-sight-far.jpg

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom