Is Caraville Arms Still In Business?? They Made Barrels and Comps and Such

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mln1963

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've Googled Caraville Arms with no success.

I have a Colt Gov. Model 1911 Series 70 I bought used. It has a Caraville Arms Exacta-Comp on it that's probably 20 years old? It looks like the gun smith, or gun hack depending on how you look at it, ground off the stock front sight and welded in the holes before rebluing the slide. The Exacta Comp has a front site on it (to lengthen the site radius I imagine) but it is not one I like. I'd like to change it out if I can find another to fit.

Any leads would be appreciated.

BTW if this should be posted in another section let me know.

Thanks

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do you want the front sight back on the slide or on the comp?

You could just have a dovetail cut and slap whatever front sight you want in. If you want the sight on the comp replaced you may have to find out how it's attached and work out a replacement from there.

My search for Caraville didn't turn up anything but others here are better at the internets.

mln1963

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think I can put a sight on the slide without a lot of work. The holes have been welded in. I'm not sure how factory Colt 1911 sights are mounted. This looks like it has two screws holding the sight on the Caraville Comp. Is that how the 1911 does it?

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The gun probably had a staked on front sight which has since been ground off peened into the slide and filed flush. The sight has a metal tab that goes through the slide and is then staked into the small void inside. To fit a new front sight you would have to send the slide out to have a dovetail milled which isn't all that expensive. The slide may or may not have to be refinished after the milling.

I have no idea about what options you may have in getting a new sight for the comp, I have never seen one.

Hopefully the other members with more experience can help you with getting a new front sight for the comp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom