Is Reloading Really Worth It?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
+1 on this...I reload to save money and I really enjoy it. You can spend a bunch of time doing it, but if you don't enjoy doing it it can feel too much like "work". It is a good feeling when you make ammo that is tailored to your gun and shoots better than some factory stuff.

May add at about a 1/3rd of the cost if you already have the brass.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im not handy at all so reloading is going to be a challenge for me if I get into it. i just want to be able to get a .45 and afford to shoot it, Im grudgingly considering downgrading to a 9mm 1911 (due to my mechanical shortcomings).

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have any friends who reload already or might be interested in starting? Might save some money that way.

nope i just got into guns when i joined the forum and now my family thinks im a gun nut. lol I learned how to shoot and handle them (properly) but thats as far as my knowledge goes. And I wish I had friends to teach me how to do this but OSA is the closest I can get to having gun buddies.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
nope i just got into guns when i joined the forum and now my family thinks im a gun nut. lol I learned how to shoot and handle them (properly) but thats as far as my knowledge goes. And I wish I had friends to teach me how to do this but OSA is the closest I can get to having gun buddies.

If you already own a 1911 then get yourself a Advantage Arms or Marvel 22 conversion. Its the best advice I can give any 1911 owner. For the cost of 1K rounds of 45acp you could own a conversion that will allow you to shoot inexpensive 22lr ammo all day long.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For 100 rounds O' 45

Primers 2.50
Bullets 8.50
Powder 1.10

So somewhere around $12-12.50 per 100 not buying cases.

The above is assuming you buy components in reasonable quantities (5K for primers, 1K for bullets, and 8 lb's of powder).

So you've got 45 ammo for less than $150/K if you buy cases and load them a few times. I load 40 until it splits or I lose it, usually I lose it way before it splits.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started reloading in 1981 and used to shoot a lot then. I didn't save any money I just shot a lot more. It may have cost more money but I got a lot more satisfaction from the ammo I loaded than ammo that I bought. A single stage press can make it seem like work. If you want to start and have the money get a progressive press to start with. If you leave it set up for one single pistol load you will probably be able to reload them as fast as you can shoot them.

When I first got my Dillon 550 I timed a box of 50 .44 mags. The press was set up and full of powder and primers and it took five minutes to load them. I don't think I could shoot them in five minutes.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
in one shops around for the best local deals ... usually wally world ...
if you shoot primarily 9mm and .45 savings for jacketed rounds are not that great.
example: 250 rounds of FMJ brass 9mm is available at wallyworld for about $58

for cast lead bullets, savings goes up. bulk powder, primers and brass drives costs down.
jackets bullets adds substantial costs.

substantial savings for rifle and big bore rounds. exception is any military surplus rounds.
your own rifle ammo reloads should be compared match grade ammo prices to be fair.

^^^^This^^^

Not so much savings on 9mm, and real common rounds, but when you get into big bore rifle rounds, there are substantial savings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom