Is the FN SCAR 17S a must have?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello fellow shooters, I was wondering if the SCAR 17S 308 is worth the money. I was thinking about purchasing a Sig Sauer 556R SWAT or a Arsenal SAM7 SF-84, but wouldn't rule out the SCAR. Any thoughts on how they shoot? I know they are really hard to find. Thanks!

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to beef up my collection, but I mainly would like for midrange shooting at targets in open areas.

In that case it is whatever you want to spend the money on. Any serious consideration has to take into account the whole package. This includes spares and mags. Optics are a wash for the most part because you could spend the same amount on whatever 7.62 platform you choose.

Since the rifles you listed are so disparate and dont compare well to each other; mainly because of the round but also the platforms, I guess the first thing is to decide on the round you want to shoot.

If having a 308 battle rifle in the stable is almost always a good thing. If it were my choice; and soon it will be, and you have the means the SCAR is an excellent choice. If the price of admission and spares is overwhelming than the AR10 platform is also a good choice.

Having shot both, and given a choice I would grab the scar. For me it shot better, handled better and is a breeze to maintain.

For me, the SCAR is not a must have for a battle rifle, but more of a want.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, I have an M1A scout, but was thinking of another caliber, which is why I mentioned the Sig and Arsenal both 7.62x39 (I should have clarified). I always heard the AR10 platform was not reliable for years of shooting? The one thing that does bug me about the SCAR is the boot look.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, I have an M1A scout, but was thinking of another caliber, which is why I mentioned the Sig and Arsenal both 7.62x39 (I should have clarified). I always heard the AR10 platform was not reliable for years of shooting? The one thing that does bug me about the SCAR is the boot look.

sounds like you already have the 308 corner covered with the scout. Just like ar15's, ar10's have different tiers of quality. Research is very important which ever platform you choose.

For me, looks are much less important than function. As such, I would be more leery of the stock lockup issues some have reported on the SCAR, rather than it aesthetics.

Latest posts

Top Bottom