Is this safe to shoot in an M1 Garand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have always been wanting buy an m1 Garand but everybody says modern Commercial ammo will bend your op-rod .I know that American Eagle and Hornady make commercial ammunition specially designed for the m1 Garand but some people tell me that all commercial ammo is safe to fire if its 150 grains or less and has velocity of 2900 fps or less. Is this safe to fire in an m1 Garand?

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went the route of getting an adjustable gas plug ( it was like $13 or something) which solves the problem. I know which is the cheapest, most likely to be stocked 30-06 at my local Walmart, got me a box, and set the gas plug to that. Crisis solved

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disregarding the information about the solution they offer for sale, there's some good information on shooting commercial ammunition in Garands here:

Shooting Commercial Ammunition in your M1 Garand

Looking through the charts and data on the page can help you choose (or rule out) specific versions of commonly available commercial ammunition. The bottom line is:

When possible choose ammunition that doesn't exceed M2 ball in both peak pressures and total impulse.

Latest posts

Top Bottom