It lives !!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sunday the19th the wife,kid and I went to Norman to the library with my sister and nephew. Our plan was to head to the mall in Norman to let the kids run wild in the play area for a while. Well those plans were derailed on the way. As we were headed to the mall my Nissan started to buck like a wild bull. Immediately it had loss of power and barely made it to Autozone where we had to push it the last couple of hundred feet. And seeing how I am not a mechanic I asked one of the AZ guys ( bad mistake). Danced all around the car for a few hours changing plugs and wires. Still would not work and ended up leaving it there until the 21st.

I guess it cooled down and was able to move again ( not a over heating issue ) and a friend and I moved it next door to a lube place to see what they thought and was told sounds like catalytic converter and was recommended to a muffler shop. Barely got it to the muffler shop and they got it on the rack and checked. Well they told me not the catalytic converter. Well we were directed to a repair shop a few blocks down the street and was told he should know cause he owns a few Nissans . Well we get there again barley and he looks under the hood and pokes around and tapping with a hammer ( no joke ) . Well he tells me fuel filter and pump were my problem ( did not even attempt to read codes ). Well this brings me to Friday. This time my BIL goes with me and we first get the codes and start going over them . And nothing is adding up. We followed every diagnostic path we were supposed to and no go ( continued over into Saturday) . The main symptom being it would not rev over 2500 RPM and it kept wanting to die.

Well we barely get it to his house in Moore and he gets me home. Shortly I was back on-line looking for symptoms and I decided to look up not reving past 2500 RPM and kept coming up with MAF sensor ( weird because no code for it ) . Well my BIL seem to have got the same info as well and he calls me today to tell me my sister was coming to get me because he thinks he knows the problem. I get there and he has the air intake totally dismantled. And he proceeds to tell me he is going to dismantle something that you are not supposed to be able to dismantle . It seems that when the MAF sensor goes out you are to buy a new one( about $150 + $30 core charge). I guess I did not mention my BIL is a electronics genius from decades of building and servicing vending machines and video games. What seemed like hours which ended up being about 45 minutes. He not only was able to dismantle the MAF sensor and proceed to explain how their design was flawed and that is why mine failed but he was able to reattach everything and test it and improving on the electrical function. We get it placed back on the car and not really expecting a good outcome due to the last couple of days failures. But we get it started and 1st thing he tells me is check engine light went out and then he proceeded to rev it up to 5000 RPM. Now the only under the hood problems are ruff idle and oil leak and not sure ( hoping ) that the ruff idle might be the ECU trying to reset.

Latest posts

Top Bottom