It's not legal to hunt Deer with an Air Rifle in Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a crazy looking rack. Think it was broken off early when the antlers were soft?

nope both sides look very similar .. this rack developed this way. this mature buck is the largest (130+lb dressed) I've taken after hunting in Pawhuska for 10 years. normally one gets lucky to harvest any deer over 95lb dressed there.

now over the state line in Kansas .. those grain fed mulies get huge!

img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_DSC00525.jpg

Several years ago they had some sort of Quakenbush air rifle shoot in McAlester. I do not remember any more about it though.

airguns have been alive and well in Oklahoma for quite some time. just that it's only recently that large caliber airguns with enough ft lb energy to safely take down a deer are starting to become more common.

took 8 years to get my Quackenbush air rife... and I still don't believe it's mine!!!

this air rifle will be passed on to one of my sons. they get to fight over who gets it.

hopefully Oklahoma legislation will get added to allow the historical use of air rifles for hunting deer. limited to airguns that shoot .45 caliber or larger bullets. Missouri passed one about one year ago.

Lewis & Clarke used a repeating Girandoni Air Rifle that shot .46 cal lead round ball to hunt game, including deer. Why can't we hunt deer today with a .46 caliber Air Rifle?

Last edited by a moderator:

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The law is ambiguous as I understand it, and written in such a way that Airguns are legal if they are muzzle loaded. The muzzle loaded laws don't exclude Airguns.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The law is ambiguous as I understand it, and written in such a way that Airguns are legal if they are muzzle loaded. The muzzle loaded laws don't exclude Airguns.

not aware of ANY muzzle loaded airguns ... Lewis & Clark did it.. but it's illegal to hunt deer in Oklahoma!!!
with MOA accuracy at 100yds and 500+ ft lbs energy .. lack of power to take down a deer is not an issue ...

main limitation for Quackenbush air rifles is only good for 1-2 solid shots before needing a recharge. other air guns may deliver more shots at lower power.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
austin.brown said:
_CY_ said:
austin.brown said:
_CY_ said:
austin.brown said:
I saw your pics a while back about your Quackenbush and I have spent too much time watching the EdgunUSA channel on youtube and now I want one. I was wondering about your tank and where do you get it filled? Is there a place to get a cheap carbon fiber tank, because the new ones are crazy high?

also got a .22 cal bullpup very similar to Edgun. but mine is a custom one off using an electronic trigger. very accurate .. 1 moa at 100yrds if wind conditions are calm.

divesite near 41st Memorial does 4,000 psi fills... accurate fire extinguisher does certifications. there are no cheap carbon tanks when buying new. firefighters use these tanks for breathing. used carbon tanks comes up for sale, but you've got to get them re-certified before they will fill tank.

all fire stations has high pressure compressors to fill their tanks. unless you know someone they are not filling.

If I purchase a new one does it come certified, or is that something that has to happen after the tank has been purchased? Do you know the cost of getting one certified?

Sorry for all the noob questions, this hpa stuff is a little confusing.

would you mind if I posted this in the air rifle thread ... guarantee others will want to know too.
unless it needs to be kept private...

go ahead and post away bud!

if you purchase a new carbon tank say from Airhog .. if I remember correctly my Airhog was good for 8 years before first re-certification was due. Just got my tank re-certified at Accurate Fire extinguishers. They are one of the few places in Oklahoma that does re-certification for carbon tanks.

Divesite does 4,000psi fills with no fuss .. they also make a high pressure floor pump for airguns. takes some serious pumping to get it up to 3,000 psi. high pressure airguns can get expensive in a hurry!

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We recently created a complete set of solid models for the Girandoni.
They're gonna use them to make molds and cast thier own.
Pretty cool airgun with quite an interesting history.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We recently created a complete set of solid models for the Girandoni.
They're gonna use them to make molds and cast thier own.
Pretty cool airgun with quite an interesting history.

WOW... please do post here link to details ... can't beat history of big bore Air rifle usage by Lewis and Clark!
that's what hurts the most ... big bore Air rifles are part of American history ... it's now illegal to use big bore air rifles to hunt deer in Oklahoma???? WTF ....

Latest posts

Top Bottom