It's time to learn how to ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
for your first street bike, get one with enough power to accelerate away from traffic. LOTS of choices out there.

go with a low mileage bike... miles can be more important than age.
what's your budget?

deals are out there, if you are patient. helps if you are a mechanic.

just purchased a Goldwing GL1500 6cyl dead, but in almost mint condition
weights 850lbs. been sitting for 7-8 years ... all hydraulics are out
motor has not been touched all this time. carbs will need overhauled.
talk about fun ... loading and unloading a dead, 850lb beast from a trailer with no brakes.

excuse the layer of dust...
ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_goldwing.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_goldwing2.JPG

ArmyJohn88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your probably getting more information (or really opinions) than you really want but I'll chime in my 2 cents.

With a few dirt bikes thrown in the mix I started on the street on a 1984 Honda 110 when I was fourteen until 16. Love that bike and it is the only besides my current bike still in sitting in the garage. And it will start every time I ask her too for a reminiscent ride, and doesn't complain as long as I do not ask her to do more than 45mph. I will say you probably want quite a few more CC's than she has to offer being a full grown man and not a 14 year old boy.

The bike I rode for a bit after the 110 was a Honda VTX1800. A bit different ballgame. Torquey but really too heavy for me to feel comfortable (6'2, 160)

More recently rode a 2004 (I believe) Honda Valkryie Interstate (1500cc) back for old man from Denver in a days time after he bought it on ebay. Loved it! Radio, backrest, a beautifully large and very old manish windshield to keep that nasty wind off me. And the Valkryie was definitely faster than the VTX (thanks to six cylinders). If your wanting a bike to last longer than you do go with a Goldwing/Valkryie (same engine).

Currently my bike is a naked (ish) Yamaha 600R. Year varies depending if you are speaking frame or engine. Had not had a street bike before and I love the power and handling, but want to slap myself every time I decide to ride highway for over a hour or two. (lack of windshield = lack of highway comfort) Plenty of power but being a 600 when a passenger is on, even the little woman, it is a different bike. Still very quick, but different.

Regardless, try to ride a few and see what feels good to you. If the class you take supplies bikes I would even recommend riding theirs before buying, might clear up the process a bit.

Whatever you get, be safe and responsible, have fun, enjoy the gas mileage and start trying to notice sand on the roads.

Lets get a OSA ride going!

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been riding since I could walk, so it's hard to give advice and pretend like I've been through the decisions your going through. I would lean toward starting out smaller and cheaper. Then next year, sell and buy something else. In that time, you'll know if you want to spend more money and make a better decision on what you want if you're still into it.

Way to go on taking a course. Some, not many, will argue, but spend all you need on a good helmet, then worry about the rest. If it's not comfortable or you don't like it, then you'll never wear it. You can always put a cast on an arm or leg. It's a little harder to fix a cracked skull. Don't believe that, just check out my brother.

nhgsr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I generally have three pieces of advice to new riders. It sounds like you already have the two most important in mind (training course and safety gear). The third may sound like a bit of a kill joy, but don't buy an expensive bike. There are several reasons for this. Unfortunately, a lot of new riders end up deciding it is just not for them or just don't do it often enough to justify keep the bike. Also, it is highly likely your first bike will end up on the ground at some point (even if it is just in the garage). I typically recommend getting an older bike. They can be picked up pretty cheap. Many require a little work, but I really feel doing a little wrenching on your own bike will really teach you quite a bit (not to mention it is a great excuse to sit out in the garage and drink beer!). I don't have any experience with dual sports, but if you have any questions about metric cruisers feel free to shoot me a message.

mprvise

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another vote for starting smaller/lighter then going from there. The SV650 or Ninja 650 (twin) would be great choices for pure easy to ride street bikes with plenty of power. Honda has a new CBR250 coming out and it's getting great reviews.

The WR250 is a great dual sport as is the DRZ 400 (which I used to own) but you won't be spending much highway time on those - underpowered IMO and not very comfortable. Super fun around town and on backroads though.

I started riding in 1983 on a Yamaha 185 then moved up to a Honda VT500 Ascot from there. I've only had one street crash in nearly 30 years of riding and I attribute some of that to really learning how to ride on small bikes that are much more forgiving. Currently riding a Triumph Bonneville and Yamaha R1. The R1 will be sold soon so I can get a Yamaha Super Tenere.

noslogto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on your temperament. If you can be satisfied with a 250, then start there...

Personally, I think the advice on the SV650 has been right on. Easy to ride, plenty of power. Did I mention it was fun to ride as well?

Enjoy whatever you get!

Latest posts

Top Bottom