J frame in IDPA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooting4Fun

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am trying to decide on my edc carry gun.

The more I read, the more I see people talking about all of there carry guns, then the last statement always seems to be " I carry my J frame the most"

Is there a good lightweight easy to carry revolver that works well in IDPA? Or a better question, I know I would not win much do to extra reloads, but why not use a J frame in IDPA?

Or maybe something like a speed six?

I think I am deciding between J frame, Glock, and M&P compact.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carried a J frame for years, then gave Glock a try for two years, carrying the J frame as backup. Now, the Glock is back in the safe, and the revolver is backed up by another revolver.

The Glock was and is fine. The only time I ever had any trouble with it was when I tried to run it too dry and it would not eject properly. My fault entirely. I even shoot better with it with my off hand.

I don't know the first thing about IDPA. I know that for EDC, I want rapid presentation and first shot accuracy and reliability. I get that with the revolver. For EDC, I don't worry much about reloads. If I should ever need to do that, the backup gets used first. For SD, reloads are administrative, not tactical, to my way of thinking.

Lately, I have developed a preference for a Ruger SP 101 over the J frame. The slight extra size and weight do not hinder my outside strongside carry.

jej

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am trying to decide on my edc carry gun.

The more I read, the more I see people talking about all of there carry guns, then the last statement always seems to be " I carry my J frame the most"

Is there a good lightweight easy to carry revolver that works well in IDPA? Or a better question, I know I would not win much do to extra reloads, but why not use a J frame in IDPA?

Or maybe something like a speed six?

I think I am deciding between J frame, Glock, and M&P compact.

Why not - I think someone shot the practical rifle match with a Garand once didn't they?

You'd better be good at 5-shot speed-reloads every 5 shots :thumb:

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

IDPA/SSR rules are designed for medium-framed revolvers using speedloaders. The 66/686 and relatives are most popular. The 5-shot J-frame revolver is legal, but not really competitive, as you noted.
Many of the IDPA/SSR shooters I know also buy a 442 for easy carry, and the same manual of arms as their competition gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom