Joe Cooper Ford in Edmond - No Firearms Posting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guess it’s finally got to the point that Ford products are so bad the service department feels the need to have no gun signs.

My dealership doesn’t.
All of the oil changes and tire rotation’s are no charge for 50K miles with synthetic’s.
Part Ford Pass program and buyer negotiated item.
The sales person doesn’t want to cut into their commission but don’t mind sticking the dealership with additional concessions.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As someone else said in this thread, I don't carry a Berretta 92, so I'm good. Seriously, I just ignore most such signs.

The only time I was asked about it was once when I was in the Enid Social Security office and the security guy saw my holster. I showed him that it was empty and the gun was in my truck. That seemed to make him happy so everything was good.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the routine maintenance fees at a dealership. They want to find 'other' things to charge you for. Example, got the oil (synthetic) changed and a front end alignment on my Camry --- total ticket was $99.xx. A synthetic oil change at a quickie place is around $60 by itself. They came back with a whole list of stuff that needed 'attention', such as the entire steering rack (which was bull cockie). However, they missed the cracked/torn upper motor mount/torque arm (which I replaced myself). Trust, but verify.

By the way, there's no such verboten sign in my garage....

Yep, they are there to help run up the tab. I remember many moons ago a service manager at Don Carlton here in Tulsa was really pushing a 75K service on me in my accord. The bulk of the pricing included an auto transmission flush. I asked him if they checked the fluid. "Yep, it looked a little dark." I asked him if he was sure it was my car? 06 Silver Honda Accord? "Yes sir," even pointed to my car. I walked him out to my accord, and pointed out it was a 6spd manual 4 door accord (which was somewhat rare). He turned white and said he must've gotten the cars confused.

Only use them for warranty work and even then you have to watch them. Lexus dealer here in Tulsa had to do a recall on one of my mother's vehicles, they said the spark plugs needed to be changed and all this other maintenance. So she had it done. They had to pull the heads off of for this recall, so they got pretty far into this motor. They tried to charge my mom all the labor involved in several of the items as if they didn't already have the heads off for the recall. $900 worth of "extra labor" they tried to tack on that "wasn't covered." Long story short, an attorney friend had to get involved.

As far as Fords go, the oil blend they use is Meh, and I'm not so sure it's some of the problems they seem to have with chains and cam phasers.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The sales person doesn’t want to cut into their commission but don’t mind sticking the dealership with additional concessions.
Ha! No kiddin'... :D

I was the engine & manual gearbox man at the local Chevy house back in the '70s. A customer's new car arrived, but didn't have all the options he ordered. Turned out that some of the options the salesman promised (and no doubt charged for) weren't even available on that model.

I don't remember the details, but there was quite a ruckus over it. And ya really can't blame the guy - I'd be bent too.
:drunk2:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another reason to not buy a Ford. :laugh6:

Oh, I don't know. Over the years of my driving (61 as a licensed driver), we have had fewer problems with our Fords than any of the other brands. The issues that we've had with both GM and Chrysler have soured us of using them, not to mention that they never paid back the "stimulus money" the government gave them back around 2008/2009.

Our experience with the foreign vehicles hasn't been any better than GM's and Chryslers.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as Fords go, the oil blend they use is Meh, and I'm not so sure it's some of the problems they seem to have with chains and cam phasers.

IDK that it’s the quality of the lubricant or formulation so much as the viscosity they claim to give “maximum performance and durability”. Their oil’s aren’t terrible and I’d put them above a lot of other factory brands. Their synthetic gear oils are actually fairly good.

If you hit some of the automotive forums you’ll find manufacturers spec higher viscosities in other countries. My truck is spec’d at 5w20 for “maximum performance and durability” meanwhile the same truck and engine in Australia calls for 10w30 and some European countries call for 5w30. That performance they are talking about is 100% fuel mileage to minimize CAFE payments and durability be damned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always heard dealerships make most of there money off of parts and the service department. I would stay away from them myself. Parts and service are both overpriced most of the time.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IDK that it’s the quality of the lubricant or formulation so much as the viscosity they claim to give “maximum performance and durability”. Their oil’s aren’t terrible and I’d put them above a lot of other factory brands. Their synthetic gear oils are actually fairly good.

If you hit some of the automotive forums you’ll find manufacturers spec higher viscosities in other countries. My truck is spec’d at 5w20 for “maximum performance and durability” meanwhile the same truck and engine in Australia calls for 10w30 and some European countries call for 5w30. That performance they are talking about is 100% fuel mileage to minimize CAFE payments and durability be damned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out some of the UOAs on Bobistheoilguy forums. The Ford Blend oils aren't terrible, I'm just saying they don't do well in their EcoBoost motors, which tend to shear oil. Lower NOACK oils like PPU and Magnatec tend to do better in Turbo DI motors.

To your point though, initially they called for 5w20 on the F150 Ecos too, they changed it a few years later to 5w30. I usually run 5w30 or 0w40.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out some of the UOAs on Bobistheoilguy forums. The Ford Blend oils aren't terrible, I'm just saying they don't do well in their EcoBoost motors, which tend to shear oil. Lower NOACK oils like PPU and Magnatec tend to do better in Turbo DI motors.

To your point though, initially they called for 5w20 on the F150 Ecos too, they changed it a few years later to 5w30. I usually run 5w30 or 0w40.
Yep, I think we are on the same page. The Ecos are hard on oils period, turbos and especially twin turbos generally are. I run Amsoil 10w30 in mine year round. Not an Eco but if it were it wouldn't have 5w20 in it either. I have the earlier 5.4 Triton that are notorious for cam phaser and chain failures. No issues yet. :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom