Intruder Drill solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Dirt Walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The company I work for had an online class that everyone had to take about what to do if a violent intruder got into the building. It suggested that everyone evacuate outside and all gather in specific spots like it was a fire drill. I told my boss that if someone got into the building and was harming people I was throwing a chair through the nearest window and he could find me in my truck.....across the street.
I had a discussion about this with our Safety Officer also and they saw some valid problems with what we were shown so they had some local police come out and look around and give their opinion. She said they didn't really have a lot to offer.

Keeping in mind that the vast majority of workplace violence is done by current or former employees so they will also know what is to be done in this situation, here is my question.
What is the best course of action to take if a violent person enters your work? They are either shooting or stabbing as many as they can.

In my specific case, my work has few interior doors except on managers offices and some meeting rooms and those are the light interior style doors, so not much opportunity to barricade in a room.
There is one main entrance/exit and 2 back entrance/exits. One main hallway that most people enter the building use for the offices and 2 side hallways in the office area. The manufacturing area is wide open except for shelving and equipment. If the person manages to get into the main front doors they can easily dominate the main hallway.

For me I can't think of anything better than what I told my boss. Chair through a window and out I go. There is even desks in front of most windows, so it would be easier to climb out of. I'm open to other ideas though as that is the reason for the post.

Oh, and firearms are not allowed in the building so having one on me is not an option.

Thoughts

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
1: concealed is concealed. But I understand following the rules too.

2: I noticed a similar deal this spring, when there was a shooting at Rose State College. As cops were rushing the campus with ARs, and there was a gunman loose, we had students running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Some students were trying to lock themselves in rooms, some were running for open areas, I talked to one guy who ran and literally hid behind Walmart. (See attached picture for his supposed route).
IMG_2600.jpeg

I feel like the rule of thumb with these sort of situations is that there is no rule of thumb. Active shooter drills are a lot like 60s nuclear war drills for kids. Stack up office chairs, close the door, hide under your desk, and start praying. It’s all pretty useless except for in perfect situations, and really just gives the victims something to do and a purpose so that they can stay occupied/calm enough to not crap themselves until the cops show up. At Rose State there isn’t any windows in classrooms, the doors are solid and lockable. But that doesn’t help if the aggressor has a specific target and/or knows the combo to the simplex door lock. What did I do? When the central office is notified that there is an emergency of some sort a mass text message goes out, and that gives me an opportunity to know what is going on. It gives me the location that the alarm came from (in this case just a building name) and what kind of event. I was 20 yards from where that kid was killed and heard everything. I got a notification 30 seconds later, and said “well ****……I’m out”. I calmly walked to my truck, avoiding sectors of fire associated with that area, and keeping my hands visible. I walked back to my truck, and was able to sit in comfort and quiet, away from everything happening, out of the sectors of fire, without incident.

Grouping up in open areas makes people a target. That’s the worst possible idea. Next worst is shelter in place. It’s not a terrible idea, but you gotta have a lot of things going right for it to be a safe idea. Escaping is a terrible idea if the aggressor is waiting for that, has accomplices, or the first responders (or overeager graymennavysealsheepdogs) get too excited when you’re trying to get away. I guess it all depends on the situation. From what you described, I would stick with sitting in my truck if given adequate time to observe and get away while avoiding friendly and unfriendly sectors of fire.

Last edited:

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your building is anything like my building(s), there are about 4 billon fire extinguishers all over. They make great weapons.

My brain says everyone gathering in one area would be a lot like the Vegas shooting. Fish in a barrel sorta thing.

Here is a link direct from my Agencies Community Page. Gives some good info.
https://www.ouhsc.edu/police/Community-Programs/Active-Shooter-Training

Red Dirt Walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your building is anything like my building(s), there are about 4 billon fire extinguishers all over. They make great weapons.

My brain says everyone gathering in one area would be a lot like the Vegas shooting. Fish in a barrel sorta thing.

Here is a link direct from my Agencies Community Page. Gives some good info.
https://www.ouhsc.edu/police/Community-Programs/Active-Shooter-Training
Yea, I tend to follow the Run, Hide, Fight (good movie BTW) philosophy, but I have doubts that many would opt for the fight and I'm not trying it solo so I believe my only course of action is run. As there are few doors in my companies building, hiding is not real feasible.

Red Dirt Walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is anyone going to be mad at you for concealing a weapon and then eliminating a thread to 10's, 100's, 1000's of people? If there are no searches when entering a building, I am carrying.
With my company to be honest, I don't know. Locally, I'm sure there would be no problem. Corporate, that is not local at all probably would fire me.
On the off chance I was caught with one.....printed or something, I would for sure be fired.

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With my company to be honest, I don't know. Locally, I'm sure there would be no problem. Corporate, that is not local at all probably would fire me.
On the off chance I was caught with one.....printed or something, I would for sure be fired.
Maybe even just in your bag or something... But that presents its own challenges without it being on your person all the time. Maybe a locked box in it to prevent unauthorized users.

I think for these scenarios you have more warning than when you would need to present from your holster on the street.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
l could always get another high paying job in industry but might have a hard time with getting a new life so l never paid much attention to the brain washed little minions in HR.

I worked for a progressive medical equipment manufacturer for 20 plus years before retiring and they had a no weapons policy.......even a folding pocket knife was considered a weapon. Dave's First Law states I'm always armed so don't ask and don't tell........ minimum carry was a S&W J frame and a 4" automatic knife. Business attire was order of the day and l found pleated pants covered up a pocket holster and the folder would clip on to the top of my ropers or fit along side my billfold.

Never found out or questioned about carrying gun or knife in all my time there.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, and firearms are not allowed in the building so having one on me is not an option.

Is it a building where firearms are not allowed by statute? If so and it isn't a space that is fortified and guarded at least as well as the state capital then that's a shame. You know, like most every school in this country.

Latest posts

Top Bottom