Just another day in Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is what it looked like to me. Going right at him which would be right toward the camera. The tractor was on a vector line that was intersecting the tornado's line of travel. It looks like the tractor got to the spot first and if he kept going he would barely miss the tornado.

That tractor reminds me how I got hit by lightning twice trying to beat the storm by finishing a field. It was two back to back years and the same tractor, same field.
You ought to play the lotto. Getting hit twice and talking about it. You are a lucky dude.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell, I’ve been through one. Got the video of it somewhere. It was an EF -1 dust devil, but it was whirling hay around my tractor (8N, no cab) and tearing up my nice windrows.

When I was a kid, our van got whacked pretty hard by some dust devils somewhere between Rawls and Post, Texas. Those were a mite stronger than the ones in my hay field.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here, lived here 67 years and never seen one. Not even the EF5 that tore up our house; it was raining and blowing so hard I didn't try to see it, just got in the shelter in the garage when channel 9 said it was about a mile from our place.
Lived in Ok except for a few years in the 70's and never saw a tornado until one day in the 80's. Twin tornado's North of Ponca that were captured on film by the Don Wallace fishing program which was on the North end of Kaw lake. That fishing show was a long time ago!
We see where tornado's have done damage, but they are mostly small, touch down, whip some trees and go back up. Had a barn door blow in once in the early 2000's in Grant county.
Here is an interesting link that shows how many tornado's have occurred in your county and what months they occurred in since 1950.

https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadodata-ok-countybymonth

ebman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
this is not the closest i have been to one but its high on the list

11[32563].jpg

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember a video that someone took 20 some odd years ago? It was a guy with a video camera way before cell phones and Go Pro.
He stood in one spot and turned in a 360 degree circle and recorded 6 tornadoes surrounding him. He was counting them as he was turning. Some were just forming and some were roping out but they were actual tornadoes.

It was at a Gary England tornado spotter class.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read years ago that a grad student in OU school of meteorology had determined is a research project that

“ if a person lives their entire life in Oklahoma they have less than a 1% chance of being directly effected by a tornado in our state”. He went on to state thst a sparse population and large land area were the two most dominate factors in his finding. I’m in my 70s and have seen only one tornado in my life. No damage to my property or injury to my self or any family member

Latest posts

Top Bottom