Just mailed the most important documents in my life,,,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could have started drawing SS a year ago but haven't yet. My financial advisors told me to wait until 65, but I have wondered about the math as well. I don't think it's likely that I'll live to 82, and certainly not into the 90's, so essentially I have been putting it off.

We are okay either way as far as SS, but I am REALLY NOT looking forward to medicare. Too much red tape with too many doctors that I wish I wouldn't have to deal with.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’m getting Medicare next yr. can’t wait.....

Speaking of....what do you guys recommend for a retired govt guy with Blue Cross and Blue Shield Standard insurance turning 65 in February?Basically good overall health but with a recent knee replacement that may have to be done again. I’m leaning towards Blue Cross as my option C. I’ve been happy with their service and coverage for several years. I understand I can suspend my regular insurance if I take this option without completely cancelling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@pstmstr -
We've been with BCBS since we retired, although we have Plan F instead of C. We have been very pleased. We've both had a lot of medical expenses this year, including back surgery for the wife and cataract surgery for me. Zero out of pocket. I know the Plan C differs, but I have no personal experience with it.

TOOF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bailed last June. Between my retirement package and SS I’m pretty close to my old salary. Plus I have a 403b & a 457 sitting out there in case I ever need them. My current gig pays my part time pay into a 401k so I’m banking it too and they carry me on their health and dental insurance plan. The longer I live the more I’m worth knocking off by my wife and her boyfriend.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Big Congratulations to you Wife and I both on the educators retirement plan. With SS too life is good! I know you will not be looking back once you walk out the door for the last time You have a whole new era of life to look forward to Good Luck!!!

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Must be nice to have a pension. My wife and I just had to use all of her 401k to pay off a bunch of debt because she lost her job. She won’t find another job making anywhere close to what she was making so we won’t be able to put near as much in her new 401k when she does get a job. This is one of those times where I wish I was rich.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Must be nice to have a pension. My wife and I just had to use all of her 401k to pay off a bunch of debt because she lost her job. She won’t find another job making anywhere close to what she was making so we won’t be able to put near as much in her new 401k when she does get a job. This is one of those times where I wish I was rich.

It's not about being rich. It's about foregoing instant gratification (debt) and living not just within your means but below it. I was a single mom with 3 kids and no child support making less than $24k/yr and managed to qualify to buy a house before Grumpy and I ever met. I drove a 77 Volare for almost 20 years. I have a 98 GMC pick-up truck now. I will still be driving that truck when I die. Debt will keep you a slave until you die and then will suck your kids' inheritance right out from under them.

Dave Ramsey is your friend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom