K98 stock finishing uestion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratbag

New to the site!
Reaction score
Halo, I recently acquired a Mauser 1944 K98 (orig. owner got from Mitchell's Mausers). Clean gun, wood is nice and smooth.I just want to seal it with something, thinking a satin finish. Anybody have any tips? Thanks in advance ...

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Raw linseed oil is the most appropriate. Last time I bought any was from Ace hardware - cheap stuff, one can will do many rifles.
Sand (using a block!!!!), until you've got your surface the way you want it - and get rid of Acrylic or whatever Mitchell's put on it.
Put some linseed oil on a scrap of burlap, and rub it in, rub it in. use small amounts, and rub, rub, rub, until wood has absorbed most of the oil. The burlap will help smooth the surface. Let it dry for a day or three, and repeat. Sometimes I'll repeat this process ten times, until I get the correct finish I'm looking for.
****raw linseed oil on rags will self ignite**** so dispose of rags/burlap appropriately.
This finish is not as tough as the newer ones, but will give you the right look and feel.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Post some pics so we know what we're dealing with here. It may be sanded to death or it may still have the russian shellac on it. If its Mitchell's sanded might as well just rub some blo on it mixed with stain.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BLO (boiled linseed oil) is what I went in with on my RC K98.

It wasn't a Mitchell's, so I had to clean a lot of commie shellac and soil out of it first.

Latest posts

Top Bottom