Ken Hackathorn analyzes Red Dot Sights on handguns and gives the pros and cons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is my understanding that no National Match has been won by open sights in many many years, if memory serves somewhere around 87?

So he is blatantly wrong on a lot of his points. Now there is an argument on CC Pistol and them.

Gypsy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Etched glass would be nice. Then if the dot fails, one isn't hunting for a dot that isn't there. Also use it during part of the day to save battery.

Last edited:

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dot failure isn't something I'm worried about anymore. I run a quality optic and change the batteries every year on my birthday.

I run backup irons and have trained POA/POI with the optic completely taped off. Not doing any of the above until it's 2nd nature is just stupid and dangerous. Training over everything.

You'd be surprised how accurate you can be with zero sights or sighting off the optic hood 10 feet out.

I respect Ken's experience and knowledge, but he's wrong and stuck in his ways. Him and Bill Wilson did a video that sounded like two old betties wishing it was 1920 again.

No one "needs" to run an MRDS. No one "needs" to run a double stack auto. The sooner these guys stop fighting technology and just use what works for them, the better

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He seems like a knowledgable guy, he probably hates 6.5 CM too. The best thing about a RDS on a pistol is it allows you, the shooter, to have full focus of your target. I am not sure why you would side with something that has you firing your weapon at a fuzzy target when there is equipment that gives you the full picture.

I don't train a lot, I should maybe once a week. But I can get on target faster with my RDS. There is a really nice training reticle that can help you out. I say training because once you learn the movements it does not matter as much, but I still really like it in general. The ACSS Vulcan that Dimitri Mikroulis and Primary Arms developed is amazing, I have it on a couple of my pistols and getting on target is very very fast.

1666311104142.png

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I run Aimpoint Comp M4’s and Aimpoint 3X flip to sides on my two main rifles. Cause I have old eyes. I cannot use one on a Pistol, my Astigmatism is beyond repair. But with a magnifier, it clears up the star burst in the Aimpoint.

rj ︈

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I run Aimpoint Comp M4’s and Aimpoint 3X flip to sides on my two main rifles. Cause I have old eyes. I cannot use one on a Pistol, my Astigmatism is beyond repair. But with a magnifier, it clears up the star burst in the Aimpoint.
I have astigmatism issues — I have had the best clarity using a Holosun 407C (dot only, no circle) which is a 2 moa dot.

1 moa dots are also good – like the Trijicon RMR. 3.25 is a large starburst for me. I haven't tried myself but have heard the Sig optics are good for astigmatism compared to others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Eye Dr. is a gun dude and recommend Sclera lenses about 3 yeas ago for me. Spensive, but I see an almost dot now compared to a giant starburst. Good for night driving in the rain too. Big difference for me

Latest posts

Top Bottom