Kids... Do They Ever Listen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a dozen or more Jack Russell Terriers in the past 30 years or so. About 2 months ago stepson/stepdaughter asked me about a JRT. They aren't real big dog lovers and not the best dog parents in the world. They don't have a fenced yard and their last little dog got run over in front of their house. I told them JRTs are very demanding and very high energy. They need a lot of attention, exercise and mental stimulation. They need a secure yard. You need to really think about this before you get a JRT.

In one ear and out the other. They've had the JRT less than a month. She's been relegated to being chained up outside. Not housebroken, chews on stuff, etc...

So, they call up mom (my wife). "Do you guys want Lexi (the JRT)?" She's just too much trouble for them. So, mom's going to TX Wed to visit kids and to bring Lexi (about 5 months old) home to us. I hope I don't regret this...it can be really hard to undo bad habits.

Now they've asked me about blue heelers. I told them a heeler is pretty much a larger version of a JRT...same type of high-energy, time-demanding dog. Don't get a heeler if you don't like JRTs. Now they have a heeler...we'll probably be making another trip down there for her in the next month or so.

So, this is Lexi, the new addition to the Corgi Ranch (she'll be here early next week). To be honest, I've been wanting a JRT (or a heeler) for a while now so I can't say I'm completely disappointed. I just don't like their attitude that dogs are disposable.

Lexi the Jack Russell Terrier:

Lexi.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would give my kids a big FU you do not listen to what I say anyway and hang up the phone on the next question they ask.

I can't understand people that get dogs/cats that have no business with animals, most of them can't keep up with their own mess let alone a pet.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a dozen or more Jack Russell Terriers in the past 30 years or so. About 2 months ago stepson/stepdaughter asked me about a JRT. They aren't real big dog lovers and not the best dog parents in the world. They don't have a fenced yard and their last little dog got run over in front of their house. I told them JRTs are very demanding and very high energy. They need a lot of attention, exercise and mental stimulation. They need a secure yard. You need to really think about this before you get a JRT.

In one ear and out the other. They've had the JRT less than a month. She's been relegated to being chained up outside. Not housebroken, chews on stuff, etc...

So, they call up mom (my wife). "Do you guys want Lexi (the JRT)?" She's just too much trouble for them. So, mom's going to TX Wed to visit kids and to bring Lexi (about 5 months old) home to us. I hope I don't regret this...it can be really hard to undo bad habits.

Now they've asked me about blue heelers. I told them a heeler is pretty much a larger version of a JRT...same type of high-energy, time-demanding dog. Don't get a heeler if you don't like JRTs. Now they have a heeler...we'll probably be making another trip down there for her in the next month or so.

So, this is Lexi, the new addition to the Corgi Ranch (she'll be here early next week). To be honest, I've been wanting a JRT (or a heeler) for a while now so I can't say I'm completely disappointed. I just don't like their attitude that dogs are disposable.

Lexi the Jack Russell Terrier:

View attachment 352757
beautiful pup! such a shame.. i have 3 a rott, son's rescue... a australian cattle dog a stray.. showed up at the lake, and now a high strung sheppard with belgin malinois tendencies... a rescue.. son brings home im stuck caring for as my first priority!!! love every one of them just think the kids really know how much effort it takes the last one was a tough one she's become wonderful though.. good luck and its really hard to tunr them away!

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would give my kids a big FU you do not listen to what I say anyway and hang up the phone on the next question they ask.

I can't understand people that get dogs/cats that have no business with animals, most of them can't keep up with their own mess let alone a pet.

I'm tempted to do that. But then the little pup has to deal with the consequences. It worked out this time because I've kinda halfassed been looking for a Terrier anyway.

There's a packrat that's taken up residence in my (unoccupied at the present time) chicken coop. That's gonna be her first job...running that rat down. Of course, the coop will probably be destroyed in the process...

Those JRTs do love killin' rats...

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well your advice was spot on but it wasn’t what they wanted to hear.
Good lookin JRT you’ve got there, I’m sure you’ll work it into the mix.
One thing else is certain, if they don’t listen regarding a blue heeler your phone will be ringing again!😂
People often have poor judgment when choosing canine companions, I’ve never understood it. It’s like the guy who lives in an apartment midtown Tulsa, works 10-12 hours a day at the office and suddenly has an epiphany that he needs, must have the Malinois..

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At 5 months you can fix her. She'll need some serious attention for a couple of months (like 4), but it's definitely not a lost cause at all. I think you're going to end up loving that little ball of fun.
Congrats on your new pup!

And tell the kids after the heeler they need to stick to something that's able to adjust to their attention and take care of itself. Maybe an Aussie. Very smart, can be high energy with high energy families, but also just a snuggle bum if you're a more laid back family. Adjustable from one side to the other. And as a bonus they're so easy to train you can do it without too much work - once they're about 4 months old.

Latest posts

Top Bottom