knife opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a kershaw spring assist that does everything I want except fit in the watch pocket of my jeans, i am not looking for the best knife ever made just a 2 - 2 1/2 folder with spring assist and good steel to hold an edge oh and i almost forgot i want a clip on it

Merlin72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just my opinion but if you have a well built knife you dont need the added weight and possible failure of an auto assist. My suggestion would be a Benchmade 556 mini griptilian. It has a closed length of 3.87 inches , blade length of 2.91 , & it only weighs 2.56 ounces. I can seriously operate mine with one hand to open and close it and I can do it as fast or faster than most can operate an auto assist or OTF knife. Check them out , I think after you get used to using the thumb stud to flip it open you will see what I mean.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EZ is on vacation and working on what appears to be a fairly decent tan.

Watch pockets are different in nearly every brand of jeans. I wouldn't discount a knife just because it won't fit there. if it does, it will be pretty uncomfortable when you sit down (I used to have the same aspirations if carrying my pocket knife in a watch-pocket and it sucked when I sat down and it dug into my hip bone.

That being said, there are plenty of 2 1/2" assisted knives (most being made by Kershaw). What knife do you have that won't work for you?

check out the chive or scallion or just look for something in your size range here:

www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?ttl=Kershaw%20Assisted%20Openers&cat=ks&woDESCRIPTIONdatarq=assisted&

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
watch pockets seem to sit right in the joint of the hip... nothing fits there comfortably. i have a little buck metro (i think) that fits, but the blade's only about an inch... no assist, and no clip but you could add a fob to hang it from... nice bottle opener, too.
does benchmade still make the benchmite? that might work, but i don't think they're assisted...

been carrying an izula or an ESEE 3 for the past 3 years or so, super comfortable to carry, and quicker than an assisted opener.

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks for all the info the kershaws were the knives i had found that i felt met the specs i wanted. I really like the kershaw i have just wanted one about 1/2" to 3/4" smaller. Merlin i had the benchmade knife and i broke it. I have sent it back to benchmade to see if they will repair or replace it but i really dont expect them to since the knife was broken do to severe stupidity on my part.I did like the knife but i really like the assisted knives. I also know you are correct about possible failure but this is not a self defense knive for me as i always have 2 guns with me and i have never had any training with a blade.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Benchmade will probably fix your knife. I sent one in that I snapped the tip of the blade on while using it as a pry bar on something I shouldn't have. They charged me $20 for the new blade, but it came back just like new.

Check out the 888 S.O.L. knife. It's a small knife that would work great for small cutting chores and fit in the coin pocket of jeans.

Latest posts

Top Bottom