Knife Sharpeners, what are you doing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used the filaments of lights, butcher's steel, wet stones and diamonds.

I am thinking diamonds for their longevity. Has anyone broke a diamond one or misused/abused it enough that it's unusable? Is there anything else that someone would recommend?

This is what I am leaning towards:

ep_yimg_com_ca_I_ultimatechefstore_2268_310025386_.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DMT-Aligner-Pro-Knife-Sharpening-Kit-DMTAPK-NEW/190917934388?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D1852166969909087237%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D360744764106%26

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i've used the same diamond stone, a larger version of whats in that kit, to sharpen every knife, hone several axes, sharpen loppers, shears and even some surplus surgical scissors. I've done it wet and dry, oiled and water.

Have yet to even make a dent on the diamond patches. It stays in the truck now so that It's always ready for sharpening my small hatchet and large axe.

It's gold as far as I'm concerned. It's totally indestructible and leaves an edge on fine knife blade that is beyond razor sharp. It won't save a junk blade and can't keep cheep dime store blades sharp either.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done it wet and dry, oiled and water. Have yet to even make a dent on the diamond patches.

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

It won't save a junk blade and can't keep cheep dime store blades sharp either.

I have over a hundred Case knives that I collected many moons and kids ago. They are stored in the safe and they won't be used by me ever unless it is the end of days!

i254.photobucket.com_albums_hh93_jmfothergill_NewImage.jpg

Looking at this again, I didn't even realize there was a sharpener in the gift tin on the upper right.

Last edited:

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out the Wicked Edge. What I like about it is it locks your blade angle to whatever you want so your edges are consistently "wicked."

I use diamond stones from as low as 50 (reprofiling) to 1000 then ceramics then leather strops. The end result is a mirror edge that can sever reality.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

I have over a hundred Case knives that I collected many moons and kids ago. They are stored in the safe and they won't be used by me ever unless it is the end of days!

i254.photobucket.com_albums_hh93_jmfothergill_NewImage.jpg

Looking at this again, I didn't even realize there was a sharpener in the gift tin on the upper right.

That quite a collection. A word of warning for you, NEVER NEVER NEVER go into the Case outlet store in Lebanon, MS. I went in there on the way to revolver nationals and was just floored at how many different knives they had. I had no clue that Case made even a 1/4 of the models they had in there. They had some other good brands too, but Case was the primary brand. It was mind boggling.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That quite a collection. A word of warning for you, NEVER NEVER NEVER go into the Case outlet store in Lebanon, MS. I went in there on the way to revolver nationals and was just floored at how many different knives they had. I had no clue that Case made even a 1/4 of the models they had in there. They had some other good brands too, but Case was the primary brand. It was mind boggling.

Thanks, I was obsessed there for a little bit!

Luckily, they have the Denby set of plates and bowls there and the wife and i do our own indulgences. The unique ones there are mostly special order small batch of like 500 that Case runs for them. And there are probably 10 in that picture of those runs.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wolf44 and Johnny,

I am not familiar with either of these. They both look great for what they are. Do you have any idea how they are on wear and or tear?

Thanks,

EFsDad

Latest posts

Top Bottom