Knife Sharpeners, what are you doing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was introduced to a Lansky by a coworker in the early '90's and have been using one ever since. I also have a Work Sharp sharpener that I use for touch ups.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not following your wear and tear - My interpretation would yield that you control the wear and tear by applying the amount of force; OR, if you do your work in a controlled environment vs 'in the trunk' type of setup.

prolly not much help. My opinion is to do auth. Japanese Stones and learn the metal. The traditional Japanese smiths' are amazing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IF you have a steady hand, and back up the blade with a solid surface, the speedy sharp is the answer for those that just can't get an edge on a blade, no matter what they try.

Sharp enough to shave is an understatement.

I have two diamond hones, and that is what I use for my expensive blades, but in all honesty, the speedy sharp could probably do the same. I use this for the fillet knife and kitchen knives. The blades fall through a tomato.

http://www.speedysharp.net/

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wolf44 and Johnny,

I am not familiar with either of these. They both look great for what they are. Do you have any idea how they are on wear and or tear?

Thanks,

EFsDad

not 100% sure on the wear. I have had the one for about a year. It still gives me the same results it did when it was new. The frame of the blademedic is made of cast metal of some type. No plastic on it that I can find. I use my knife a lot at work to cut shrink wrap and cardboard on pallets. I hit the blade on the ceramic about once a week to dress it up. It always goes back to shaving sharp. Before I got the blademedic I used the Lansky sharpening system on my carry knives. I would rotate out knives every couple of weeks and hit all the knives at the same time every couple of months. Now I only dig out the diamond stones for new knives and use blademedic for regular maintenance. Super easy and just takes a couple of minutes.

I ended up ordering two more of the bladmedics last week so I could keep one in a bob and one in hunt pack and keep the one in my desk at work.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IF you have a steady hand, and back up the blade with a solid surface, the speedy sharp is the answer for those that just can't get an edge on a blade, no matter what they try.

Sharp enough to shave is an understatement.

I have two diamond hones, and that is what I use for my expensive blades, but in all honesty, the speedy sharp could probably do the same. I use this for the fillet knife and kitchen knives. The blades fall through a tomato.

http://www.speedysharp.net/

Anybody that has been around a machine shop knows exactly what this is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom