Kroger sued over suspect's fatal shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This news story should make you smile & shake your head in disgust at the same time...

6 months ago, a armed man named 'Atkinson' robbed a Kroger store. He shoved a gun into a female security guard's back.. forced her into the manger's office and attempted to rob the store. The manager ended up shooting the robber in the face and killing him. Kroger had a store policy against employees being armed. Now the robber's mother is suing Kroger for $75,000 for wrongfull death. Her claim is in part:

“Kroger owed Atkinson a duty to exercise reasonable care for his safety, refrain from wantonly or willfully harming Atkinson, and/or acting in a way that would increase the peril to Atkinson as a result of being on the premises. By failing to supervise its employees, enforce its own policies, and failing to properly train its employees, Kroger breached its duty of care to Atkinson

Kroger sued over suspect's fatal shooting during robbery attempt
9:34 PM, Jul. 19, 2012 |

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...robbery?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfreakin believable!
I don't think Kroger breached it's duty to take care of him, they took care of him just fine.
Maybe the next scumbag will think twice before trying.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great story! Stupid people get hurt doing stupid, criminal things, then their heirs and assigns want to sue for lost revenue...as Henry Louis Mencken once said, as an American, you can't help waking up every morning laughing.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That lawyer has too much time on his hands.

Yup. It's really laughably sad. I don't see a jury in Indiana being very sympathetic to the cause. They're surely hoping for some pittance to be thrown their way as an out of court settlement, no? Especially if they were only demanding a paltry (for a wrongful death suit) 75k initially?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might be the $75,000 is the statutory minimum for the pleading?

Good point. Myself dealing with the property damage, I forget about such subtleties in BI settlements. I know Indiana and Illinois have some weird things going on there with regards to these suits, ad I get dragged into weird evidence requests in those parts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom