Kydex vs. Nylon IWB Holsters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Coda

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I confess that I don't understand the appeal of Kydex holsters, particularly for IWB. They seem bulkier than necessary and some of them scratch the heck out of the gun's finish. Thin, nylon holsters are more my preference. What are you using and why?

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Show a holster that is thinner than .080 thickness of kydex? Here is a photo of one that fits the Kahr P380, there is not a holster out there smaller, lighter and faster unholstering than this one. Son in law makes them, he also made me one for the same pistol that has a hook to catch the pocket, for in the pocket carry when I am in shorts or don't want to IWB carry. I have tried nylon, leather and such and nothing beats Kydex.

I don't give a rats a$$ about the finish of my pistol, it is simply a tool to me. I only care about it's capability, effectiveness and reliable functioning. Don't carry it for looks. Although, if built right, the Kydex will mar very little.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer hybid holsters like crossbreed, galco king tuk, comp tac mtac. I dont like the feel of kydex up against my body when im carrying iwb. If o was doing owb i wouldnt mind a full kydex holster.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nylon and soft leather iwb holsters are too difficult to re-holster. Years ago when I started reading about conceal carry and holsters the "box of holsters" that one can acquire was mentioned many times. I now have that box but my all time favorite iwb is still the Comp Tac Mtac.

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nylon and soft leather iwb holsters are too difficult to re-holster. Years ago when I started reading about conceal carry and holsters the "box of holsters" that one can acquire was mentioned many times. I now have that box but my all time favorite iwb is still the Comp Tac Mtac.

This ^^^

Being able to holster one handed is critical. IE, you shouldn't have to hold the holster open to reholster. You never know, in a defensive situation you might have to carry someone out of harms way and need both hands to do that.

My Comp Tac Mtac also clamps the gun in the holster via a kydex detent of sorts. This prevents the gun from coming out in case you get in a ground fight or while running.

I carry in this holster all day long and it doesn't bother me. I carry a heavy G26 (12 + 1) and another 17 round mag.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

As other's have stated, nylon and soft leather fail in so many ways. As to kydex, I use http://pjholster.com/ holster's for my carry guns, and have never had any issue's with them.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree with Mr. Glock on finish - concern over appearance is nonsense. Fit and function should be the priority.

Also, Leather and some nylon units are, or can be, far more comfortable than Kydex units. It ALL depends upon your preferred carry location, functional effectiveness, and Physical composition.

Finally - I completely disagree with the need for reholstering for the non war fighter. IF this is for Carry Reasons, and you DO enter a situation where the Heater comes out in fear of your life or that of another............
delete ..........

Best thing you can do is ASK to borrow holsters from others, Most have numerous in a box collection....... to avoid spending a ton to figure out what does and doesnt work - as you will spend A LOT of money to find the right combination that performs to the level necessary AND provides the best fit. Not always easy when it comes to IWB.

A lot of folks prefer leather still........and MTACs for the halfbreed combo.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kydex will win for most who have tried both. A carry gun is a tool, and if you train with it is going to wear on the finish no matter what type of holster. Kydex is actually easier on the finish since it does not build up grit and grime as much as leather and nylon. It can be easily cleaned off. As others have mentioned re-holstering is a big issue.

As far as IWB carry goes kydex can be comfortable as long as you pick the right holster for your gun and position of carry. A stiff belt is required for any to keep the rig from shifting around and rubbing. Body type can be an issue for IWB carry as well. If you have a full size spare tire AIWB is probably not the best choice.

The great thing is there are a ton of different models and types out there to choose from. What ever works for you stick with it and carry the same gun in the same place everytime.

Latest posts

Top Bottom