Lawyer for a trust.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
funny you should mention it...

I just got an advertisement in the mail from a firm out of OKC that is offering 4 free workshops in Lawton. Oct 3-4.

I have NO knowledge of them
I have NO financial interest in them.
Just passing on the info.

Says you can register online at: oath.law/workshops
I would avoid this stuff like the plague. They are the bottom feeders.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
funny you should mention it...

I just got an advertisement in the mail from a firm out of OKC that is offering 4 free workshops in Lawton. Oct 3-4.

I have NO knowledge of them
I have NO financial interest in them.
Just passing on the info.

Says you can register online at: oath.law/workshops
Got the same flyer and will go to one of the seminars it's free so why not?
A trust is more important than you think. The daughter of my wife's ex came out of the woodwork and put the house in probate. The only winners will be the lawyers, and about 6 or so have already turned it down since it is such a losing proposition. Plus I don't want ANYTHING going to my (Entitled/ungrateful) kids!

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, no. Trusts have a multitude of different uses, but a simple Will is enough in most cases if everything is straight forward and all. I'm no expert though, this is just my opinion based on my limited knowledge.
I'm doing a Will, with, as you said, only 1 person to get it all.

If you want to stay out of probate, then yes, you will need a trust. Also, just because you will everything to one person doesn't mean you might not have family who may potentially contest your will and then there is the added expense of defending your will ... We have everything in a trust. For us, with all the relatives we have that think we somehow owe them something it was the smart move. This way whichever of us survives the other won't have to deal with that ********. And like I've said before Dusty and OHYP get what's left after we are both gone.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would avoid this stuff like the plague. They are the bottom feeders.

If you know how to say "no thank you" to high pressure salesmen then these types of "classes" are a good way to learn about why or why not a trust or will would be better (or not) in a lot of different circumstances. It's kinda like a mini-course in Wills and Trusts. I don't know anything about the firm putting it on but I'd go if I had questions.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to stay out of probate, then yes, you will need a trust. Also, just because you will everything to one person doesn't mean you might not have family who may potentially contest your will and then there is the added expense of defending your will ... We have everything in a trust. For us, with all the relatives we have that think we somehow owe them something it was the smart move. This way whichever of us survives the other won't have to deal with that ********. And like I've said before Dusty and OHYP get what's left after we are both gone.
Exactly correct. We have been to our lawyer a couple of times since MIL passed away in June about her trust.
With a trust, you can avoid probate which is nothing more than a cash cow for lawyers.
The trust directs who the assets will go to and eliminates every wanna-be that says they could be an heir because of an affair. There will be no inheritance taxes either unless it's a huge inheritance over a certain amount.
We have land involved that our lawyer couldn't solve unless we paid him to go to the courthouse and research records, so we did it ourselves. Going through the books, we found about 30 some acres of land that had been bequeathed back in the day but not logged in the county records, That property will have to go through probate. If it had been included in the trust, it would not have been taken to probate court.
There is more to the story but that is the gist of what happens.
When my mom passed, we had to put her car and home into probate. I don't remember what the form is, but one can go to the county treasurer and fill out this form that will take the home out of probate. DO THIS! I'm sure someone on here knows what form that is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom