"lawyer trigger" on Ruger 77 Mark II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought a stainless/composite 30-06 Ruger 77 Mark II maybe six years ago.

I had it back to H&H for a little warranty work and asked them to weigh the trigger.

Gunsmith came back and said "I don't know." I maintained calm, asked why not, and he said his scales bottomed out at 8 pounds, but that he thought it "wasn't much more."

I have never weighed it again, but suspect it's north of ten. A terrible trigger.

I know the usual fix is a Timney trigger for over a hundred bucks, and I don't use this gun much any more since I have several rifles suitable for deer hunting that work better, but it offends me to have something in my cabinet that is so inferior to what it should be. Not interested in selling it. Ruger should be ashamed, but they aren't.

I am looking for suggestions as to a more economical way of getting this trigger to a huntable four pounds or so.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, don't blame us lawyers... we just make the arguments. It is those dumb ass jurors who believe our B.S.! ;)

I don't know how much it would do for you, but you can always polish the engagement surfaces. That tends to clean up any factory trigger a little bit... but it's not gonna take 4+ pounds off the pull, like you want. There are definitely some geometry issues with the parts, with that heavy of a pull.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, don't blame us lawyers... we just make the arguments. It is those dumb ass jurors who believe our B.S.! ;)

I don't know how much it would do for you, but you can always polish the engagement surfaces. That tends to clean up any factory trigger a little bit... but it's not gonna take 4+ pounds off the pull, like you want. There are definitely some geometry issues with the parts, with that heavy of a pull.

I am aware that 98% of attorneys give the rest of you a bad name, and--not kidding--one of my best friends is an attorney. Lives across the street from me, and a handy guy to have around. Attorneys are like morticians and doctors. You never hope to need one, but you eventually will, and you want to pick a good one.

I had considered cleaning up the surfaces, but have been told these are hardened only on the surface, and thinly at that. For this reason I think I'll just go with a trigger replacement. I am sending Ruger one more pointed email just to see if they will respond.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just called Ruger's service department. They gave me a return material authorization and said they would get the pull down below seven pounds. I am surprised, and hope to be pleased with the results. We'll see.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just called Ruger's service department. They gave me a return material authorization and said they would get the pull down below seven pounds. I am surprised, and hope to be pleased with the results. We'll see.

Glad you called them. I am a Ruger fan and have been for years. Keep us posted on results.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't go grinding on triggers or sears due to the hardening issue, but you can hit them with a polishing tip on a Dremel with some polishing compound and smooth things up a bit without cutting through the surface hardening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom