"Lead Creek" near Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a couple tell me about a creek bottom out west of Tulsa (around Kellyville I think) that is a good place to go plinking. I am pretty sure that the name "Lead Creek" is not the official name of the creek but has been dubbed that due to the shooters that visit the area. Anyone know for sure where "Lead Creek" is actually located by any chance?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably Tiger Creek, on 33 just west of Sapulpa. It's Heyburn WMA, "unofficial" shooting range. There a gravel parking lot, walk west of the lot a few yards and there's the spot to shoot. (at least it was a year ago)

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is Tiger Creek for sure. My brother in law lives on the east side of it at the bottom of the hill. My Mother and father in law live on the west side of it on the top of the hill.

Take I-44, exit at Kellyville. Go east about 4 miles. Once you pass 245th W. Ave (has a church across the hwy from it), the next creek will be it. It will be the bottom of the next hill you come to. The gravel parking lot is on the south side of the hwy, right across the bridge.

Good luck,.. lots of plinking going on there. We hear it every Sunday evening for dinner.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds like the place. I think I will run out there and take a look around to see how safe it looks before we load up and go shooting. I like plinking at places like that if I think it's a safe place to shoot... like adequate backstops, not too many people coming and going, clear open area so shoot, etc.

Thanks for the info.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's in Creek county and you'll be shooting illegally, so don't take any guns you can't live without.

Are you sure about that? It's federal land, people are there literally all weekend long, every weekend. There isn't a Sunday that passes when we don't hear gunfire down in the creek bottom.

I even think there is a sign pointing where to shoot.

Creek County could make a lot of money busting people down there if it is illegal.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you sure about that? It's federal land, people are there literally all weekend long, every weekend. There isn't a Sunday that passes when we don't hear gunfire down in the creek bottom.

I even think there is a sign pointing where to shoot.

Creek County could make a lot of money busting people down there if it is illegal.

Game wardens probably could do pretty good. Discharging a firearm on government land without a hunting license is poaching. Whether you kill anything or not. Except for designated shooting ranges and I haven't seen one listed for Heyburn.

300WSM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are concerned about the place being legal, why not just go to Happy Hollow and pay 10 bucks and shoot until your hearts content. Its target shooting and not plinking, but theres no legality question.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are concerned about the place being legal, why not just go to Happy Hollow and pay 10 bucks and shoot until your hearts content. Its target shooting and not plinking, but theres no legality question.

Happy Hollow? I have not heard of that. Thanks, I will check it out. All I was looking for was someplace safe to go shoot and $10 is certainly reasonable for a safe place to do that.

I really prefer to shoot soda cans, plastic bottles, my swinging targets, old computers and stuff like that (easily cleaned up). There seems to be a lot of places to go shoot paper... and then there is Red Castle which is great but with their yearly fees and $40 a trip for gas for someone that only shoots once every month or two, it's just hard to justify the expense.

Latest posts

Top Bottom