Setting up new Lee 6000 six pack progressive reloader and it has a few quirks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ordered a 6000 press from Midway a couple of weeks ago. I hand feed about a 100 38 spec primed cases thru and loaded with my new 140 grain PC Lee SWC. Mostly went well. Cleaned out the garage and hauled empty boxes to recycle. Turns out one box was not so empty. A few of the smaller Lee parts were still in the bottom of the box. First box of replacements from Lee had about half of the order. They are sending the rest today.

Will make a flap door to keep tall cases from tipping as they come out of the drop tube. Having issues like the 300BO case is not feeding all the way into the shell holder. It appears the shell plate may be a touch high and case is dragging. I'm sure other issues will pop up. Lots of u-tube videos but wondering if anyone in Tulsa/Bixby area has set one of these up and I could watch and/or pick their brain a bit on what they have done.

Many years ago, I was one of the first people in Oklahoma to order a Dillon press, actual ordered 4 and resold 3 of them. Great equipment but as my needed quantities now are much less, my decision this time was the Lee would probably do what I need. I expect to use the 6000 to load for 4 or 5 different cartridges and will reload in batches of 200 to 1000 which should last anywhere from one to five months at the rate I shot now.

I am looking at buying a shipment of Tula primers. Seem to be the better quality in the lower price range. Around 3 cent each plus shipping and hazmat. Any one interested in splitting the hazmat costs?

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found issue with why cases were not sliding into shell plate. 300BO requires the riser on the case feed. When I installed the riser, it was not flush with the base on the surface that pushes case into shell holder, about 1/64" further in than it should have been. Riser leading edge was pushing top case forward and the tilted case rim was dragging into the shell holder. Now running very slick. It's the little details that we miss and can sometimes give us issues.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Keep a can of keyboard air and periodically blow the area off that the shell slides on. Helps a lot.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live south Tulsa / North Bixby. Will be in Florida most of Jan and Feb so may order primers over the next week.

Shop vac is close buy to pick up the bits of powder. I have closed up clearance on the Pro disk powder measure and a lot less flakes leaking thru. It is throwing pretty consistent 38 spec and 300BO powder. Looking at ordering NOE thru powder expander dies as flair on 38 spec case mouth is larger than I like. Also will probably order inline bullet feed at some point in time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom