Lead, lead and more lead or maybe something else

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some times one might be at the right place and the right time. I have a line on 3,000 pounds +/- of "lead" from a manufacturing process. The shop thinks it has lead/tin in it. Borg steel tells me its pure lead but because it is in 40 to 50 pound chunks heaped into a bucket, they are lowballing any value. They would not let me look at the screen of the analysis gun to see the "trace" elements. Sending off a small sample to a guy on CastBoolits to get an analysis.

I made a rough calculation of the volume of one of the chunks. as pure lead it should weight over 100#. It weights 50#. It could have some voids due to it being poured cold but I would not think 50%. It melts with a small soldering iron so do not think it is zinc. Using lead pencils, it is in the H to F hardness range. Pure lead is 5B or softer so it is medium hard.

I have been watching the want adds for a old sailboat that is being scraped out. The lead keels typically have between 3% and 6% antimony. I have plenty of Lino and solder with tin. 1,000# of high antimony lead from a keel and I could stop looking for more lead.

It will take over a week to get the analysis back. it will be interesting as to what it is.

Attachments

• lead chunk 1.JPG
    lead chunk 1.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 9

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That looks like the junk I scrape off the top of my dirty lead.
It could have all kinds of stuff in it.

But if it melts into ingots and makes bullets that shoot well then all is good.
I use different hardness for different weapons.
If you get it cheap enough it may be nice.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it is not lead. Sample off to east coast and will be a week or so b4 I get an analysis. The guy usually tells you lead, tin, and antimony %. Not sure if he can pick up other metals. I smelted COWW in one pot and 22 bullets and stick on WW in another on Friday. Left less than a 1/2" of pure lead in the bottom of the pot, maybe 5 pounds, and added less than a pound of my scrap metal. Instant oatmeal texture. checked temperature and around 750 deg F. Zinc SG gets the mass to about the 50# range. Problem is Zinc is not listed to perform the job that the shop is using the metal for. Bismuth does do the job, would expect the weight to be a little heavier. To late to call Borg Steel when I got home. The search goes on.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it is zinc you could always melt it down and make fishing weights out of it and sell to local fishermen. But i would use different equipment for other that im not going to use lead in.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Talked with the shop today. fishing weights with an eye of the material did not hold up. poured metal worked for crappie jigs with hooks and weight with copper wire as the eye. Their data sheet shows lead, tin, antimony, and trace arsenic. hope to have analysis later this week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom