Learned my lesson!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the low low price of two hundred twenty-one dollars you can wear whatever you want

Too funny!

Ha! ha!. We have several GW's that work for us an a couple of retired OHP officers, part time security. The OHP guys call the GW's "bunny cops":yelclap: :D

Yeah but the "bunny cops" can enforce all laws the OHP can plus game laws.

My son's hunter ed. class was taught by a ranger who said trapping,coon hunting and pond jumping ducks made him sick and he has an instant dislike of any person doing so.

Who was this guy. Nothing like leaving your prejudices at home.

That may be in some cases, but I am here to tell you that deer hunters are treated differently than bird hunters. There is a double standard and I have experienced it first hand. ... Did not ask to see ANY licenses or stamps. If we were deer hunting he would have, you can bet your bottom dollar.

Hub

True, but it seems like all the idiots come out for deer hunting.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who was this guy. Nothing like leaving your prejudices at home.

He is a ranger and the class was in Logan county but I'm not sure where he works.I think it would have been better if he kept his opinions about things that are legal to himself in a class full of young people

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's nuts. So your saying that you could potentially be cited for wearing your backpack if it's blocking your blaze orange??? I always have a spare vest that I put on the deer I get or ground blind i'm in but never my backpack. ...

Yeah - the problem with the reg is that it says 400 inches squared, but it also says "conspicuously" displayed and it must be "above the waist" (going from memory here - I believe that covers it - I think recently they started allowing blaze orange camo). When your backpack covers it it makes it inconspicuous. I just strap a spare orange vest onto my backpack when I take it along - my backpack is also camo'd in heavy brown, so its probably safer for me to do that.

When I hunt on my private land (during deer rifle), I wear an orange hat and an orange hoodie and over the hoodie I wear one of those mesh suits colored in Mossy Oak Breakup with leafy-cutouts on it (I think its called 3d leaf something or other) because to me its "Conspicuous enough" and you can plainly see the orange through the mesh and I'm wearing my hat.

I'm also supposed to be the only one out there and I hunt well away from the road, so I'm not really in that much danger of being shot except for poachers who are deep in the middle of a place they damn well shouldn't be.

I wouldn't do that on public land because I wouldn't want to argue with a GW about it (same reason I use 5rd mags in my AR instead of 10, 20, or 30rd with a plug in them).

The problem with orange vests or jackets by themselves is that they suck for making you look like a solid-colored blob. I understand that deer are colorblind, but they can see the differences in very subtle contrasts and if you're in the middle of a bunch of different colored stuff and you're one solid color - it just plain sucks.

If you're hunting from a blind or tree-stand with a blind, then it obviously doesn't matter, but if you plan on moving around or finding a tree and climbing it with no blind, it sucks. They make camo'd orange vests, but I still prefer (at least to my front side) to have more camo than just orange and black. I usually sacrifice my back to a solid blob of orange (or orange camo) to achieve the 400 square inches.

Keep in mind that an average hat is like 75 square inches. That leaves 325" left - which is a piece barely larger than 18" x 18" square of visible blaze orange (above the waist and "conspicuously displayed"). A little in front/arms and a 10x10 or 12x12 patch on the back and you're legal.

Now, I'm not in any way advocating the use of as little blaze orange as possible, because when I'm out on public land, I usually go for some overkill (especially during opening weekend or the last day or so of rifle season - I've heard bullets whizzing through the trees near me and it ain't fun). There are plenty of idiots out there who will shoot at something moving even before they can see it.

But 400 square inches isn't that hard to achieve and when I'm hunting in an area where I know all the neighbors in the mile-section and I should be the only one hunting out there, I go for the minimum legal amount.

That may be in some cases, but I am here to tell you that deer hunters are treated differently than bird hunters. There is a double standard and I have experienced it first hand. Was loading up with EZbake and my neighbor after duck hunting opening morning, GW rolled up on us and we sat and talked to him for a good 15 minutes, he asked if we did any good and I replied yeah but only 13 Teals (EZBake needs to go shoot more skeet with me), pulled them out and showed him. He asked if we had any big ducks, I replied nope did not see any. He then said okay you guys take care and left. Did not ask to see ANY licenses or stamps. If we were deer hunting he would have, you can bet your bottom dollar.

Hub

Yeah - they hate hogs too - if you mention to a GW that you're looking to kill some hogs - and they just happen to be plagued with tons of them, they seem to be really friendly :thumb:

Don't hate on my shot-gun skills man (or lack there of). I'll say this now, I wish I had gone out duck hunting with you guys almost every day I went out and hunted deer (oh, and I have a sweet new spot for us to duck hunt on).

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From ODWC:

Hunter Orange

Deer hunters using a firearm must conspicuously wear both a head covering and an outer garment above the waistline both consisting of hunter orange color totaling at least 400 square inches. Camouflage hunter orange is legal.

Deer hunters using archery equipment during any antelope, deer or elk firearms (muzzleloader or gun) season in any open hunting area (zone, county, or area) must conspicuously wear either a head covering or an outer garment above the waistline consisting of hunter orange. Camouflage hunter orange is legal.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread should be re-titled. "why do you hate your local game warden?"

No Way! I would be willing to bet that most if not everyone on the hunting and fishing board understands the job that has to be done. Same deal with OHP when they get me speeding, does'nt mean I have to like it though.:cry3:

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No Way! I would be willing to bet that most if not everyone on the hunting and fishing board understands the job that has to be done. Same deal with OHP when they get me speeding, does'nt mean I have to like it though.:cry3:

there's speeding, then there's SPEEDING... I think any given GW chose their career path because they truly enjoy wildlife and want to protect it. But just like the OHP, I think they get addicted to that adrenaline rush of being in power, and sometimes forget what is important.

Who cares if someone doesn't wear orange? I'm not gonna shoot at anything that isn't 100% deer and 100% safe. I always wear orange, and I'm the only hunter in 2 square miles. You put your life in the hands of the common idiot if you don't wear it.

Does it get you out of jail if you shoot a guy who wasn't wearing enough orange? Nooo. So everyone behind the gun or in the crosshairs is responsible for their own actions. Is it really necessary to write a ticket? Surely these GW's could find a more productive way to protect wildlife.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What gets me is that I did have an orange beanie on. I was the only 1 on my private land which is 1 mile long and 1/2 mile wide. Pretty much open country with some draws and canyons. Open enough that he could see me sitting in my tripod at least 1/2 mile away. So I think my orange hat worked pretty good. Also he threw in that it's just a safety thing and that it for my own good! I'm pretty sure that seat belts are a safety thing and for our own good but the last I heard that ticket is like 20 bucks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom