Learning to reload

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYarb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
All very good information. I appriciate it too, 'cause I'm new here.

I just started loading this year, pistol and rifle. Ask as many reloaders as you can, you'll get different info from every one of them. Also a lot of information from the manufacturers. Barnes Bullets are very nice people to talk with, also RCBS, Hornady and Dillon Precision. Believe it or not, most don't care who's equipmet you're using. They figure sooner or later, you'll be using something of theirs. I expect if a person does it long enough, they will try a little of everything. I'm amazed already of how many different things I've tried in the short time I've been reloading....Find something you don't like? Try something different. Sometimes it can be kinda spendy....but pretty much all hobbies are somehow or another. It's hard to imagine when you first start, that "all this crap will eventually pay for itself"...but it won't take as long as you think.
It's also nice to be able to load a magazine/cylinder full of rounds and walk out behind the house and shoot 'em...you know if it shows to be safe, if you like it and if it's accurate....before you load up a pile of 'em! Of course, I know everone doesn't have that luxury...but it is icing on the cake if you're able to!
Best of luck! You'll probably enjoy it for years to come....I know I will.

Colin

ETA: Most important....as many loading manuals as you can find!

That comment made me stop and think. Is reloaded ammunition "generally" acceptable at ranges? The closest to me would be USSA, so we'll use that as an example... I couldn't find it in their FAQ's.

Reloading definitely looks interesting... Just looks expensive to get started! Maybe I should start researching this, too!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
It can be. But it doesn't have to. You might search some of the recent threads on reloading. I have a post somewhere that details how if one is loading anything more expensive a pistol round than 9mm, such as .357 or .45, one can repay a basic Lee reloader kit and dies in the first 1000 rounds or so. Even faster if one is using lead bullets in place of jacketed.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
guns clubs put on reloading clinics... first time reloaders ideally should find someone to watch and ask questions.

Sand Springs gun club just put on a nice reloading clinic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom