Progressive press worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I reloaded for about 25 years, pistol, rifle calibers. Tried to keep 400-1000 rounds loaded for practice, classes and competitions. It was fun when I was younger. Gratifying when a more accurate, repeatable 5.56 MM was produced from my table. RCBS “O” shaped press, then a Dillon 550 progressive press. In my mind, whether to reload your own ammo totally depends on your enjoyment of it, spending that time and effort at the table, your financial situation when comparing cost of the reloading press, prep tools, dies, bullets, primers, powders to buying cases of factory ammo. Enjoyment, satisfaction or convenience?

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think progressives are worth it. Even if you don't take advantage of the speed, Having all your dies set up in a toolhead is a nice feature, and Dillon makes a Quick Change that comes with a powder measure, you can change calibers in minutes. All that said, I'm keeping my 50 some odd year old Rock Chucker, it's just like me, old, tired, dirty, can't get much work out of it, but it touches my heart to see it, we can still remember the good times.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DEPENDS!!!

I used a RCBS Rock Chucker, exclusively, for 40 years. When shooting a lot of skeet, I bought a MEC Grabber. Set up for skeet / dove loads, loading was fast and top quality.

Got into CAS and reloading was a must. The Rock Chucker was adequate, but I wanted more. Bought a Lee Turret. Soon after, seen a Dillon, set up for .357, at a good price. Set the Lee up for .45 ACP.
Loading is faster, always set up, ready to go. I have Dillon heads with pistol dies, but I have never changed.

Was it "worth" it?

Meh, maybe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom