Leather opinions needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find myself getting deeper into the the N frame territory and am looking at putting together a rig. I know leather ain’t what it was twenty or thirty years ago, but it is what it is. I’m on the fence between the Galco Phoenix and the Bianchi 5BHL. Anyone have recent experience with either of these makers?

Jgreen30

Marksman
Reaction score
Idk anything about either of those but I've got a few bullard leather holsters that are pretty nice. If you want to go custom I've ordered several holsters from Bitterroot gunleather and they're super nice but it's normally several months wait to get them. I'll probably try out a swordslinger custom holster next his stuff looks super impressive.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have four or five different wheel guns that will take turns riding around in whatever I decide on. The odd duck is the 327 R8. I didn’t give that integral bottom rail enough thought when I snatched it up. I can’t remember which of the two was said to carry it well, but it was one of them. I’m too tired to go look it up right now and still have things to do before I light out in the morning. I know the lead times on bespoke leather could well exceed my use by date.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I typically carry my 610 in this. It’s good stuff, I’m willing to bet a big name made it, and speed beez rebranded it.

https://www.speedbeez.com/product/speed-beez-leather-cross-draw-revolver-holster-owb/
But if I were to pick a better all around, I would be hard pressed to convince myself to get anything other than the Galco DAO. Just got one recently for my shiny new to me 617-1. Fit and finish is pretty good, I feel like I got what I paid for. I’ve never been a big fan of straps, but this holster is pretty great. The ability to use it cross draw and at 3/9 o clock makes it do the jobs of two holster. But at the price of one. Its on sale now too.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/957551338?pid=326885

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Simply Rugged leather holsters are nice, we own several of their holsters now for everything from Glocks to 1911's to revolvers of several makes and sizes. Here's my N frame holster from them, 4" model 57...

20191225_172634.jpg
20191225_175338.jpg

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Simply Rugged leather holsters are nice, we own several of their holsters now for everything from Glocks to 1911's to revolvers of several makes and sizes. Here's my N frame holster from them, 4" model 57...

View attachment 259691View attachment 259692
That fish scale tooling is rather eye catching isn’t it. I’ve always been a sucker for unusual patterns or absolutely over the top carving. Problem is you’re talking about long lead times and real money. Suppose I need to grab the handle and do it myself in that spare time between three and four in the morning.

Is your Simply Rugged holster lined? My first choice would be horse hide lining but suede seems to be the order of the day.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That fish scale tooling is rather eye catching isn’t it. I’ve always been a sucker for unusual patterns or absolutely over the top carving. Problem is you’re talking about long lead times and real money. Suppose I need to grab the handle and do it myself in that spare time between three and four in the morning.

Is your Simply Rugged holster lined? My first choice would be horse hide lining but suede seems to be the order of the day.
Mine is not lined, but he will do it. Most of their holsters are in the $80-120 range, unless you catch one on their gear to go page on sale. Wait times are usually not too bad either, maybe a month or so for us in the past.

Latest posts

Top Bottom