LEE DIY loader

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan1678

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used the Lee DIY loader? I know it is good as long as you dont need a lot of rounds cranked out quickly. But the real question is about the accuracy. I have several rounds that was loaded from a friends press with all the same components that I would be using. Has anyone used this that could tell me the pros and cons of it. http://madcommando.com/eStore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=76_38

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used the old classic Lee Loader in three calibers way back in the early '70s You have to drive the case into the sizing die with a mallet or hammer unless you have an arbor press available. They work OK on straight wall cases but I had dismal results with bottle neck cases. Having one in a bug out bag for long term survival might work, but for any real use outside of a normal bench press, get the Lee Hand Press kit here http://www.midwayusa.com/product/624416/lee-hand-press-kit This uses normal 7/8X14tpi die sets and should you move up to a bench press later, all the dies should work with it as well. If you go with the classic Lee Loader you were asking about, use a really good case lube like imperial sizing die wax to make it better. I found brass life to be much shorter with it than with a conventional loading die setup in a press. Also, reloading is addictive, once you start, it will expand. Cost per round goes down, but you shoot more...

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They will make very accurate ammo. A long standing world record group was shot with ammo loaded with a Lee Loader. I've gotten 3/4 in groups out of my Browning BAR .243. They only neck size. I could get four or five loads before bases swelled too much to chamber. I use a press now, but have a Lee Loader for nearly every caliber I shoot.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That old lee is what I and others call the Lee Wack-A-Mole loader.
That is what I started with back in 2009 and it produced excellent ammo.
I never used case lube as this Lee loader only neck sizes the case..I used it in 30-30 and .308.
I then got one for my 30-06 and it did excellent also.

I then started getting some once fired brass and scored 250 pieces of 30-06 brass loaded some and it would not chamber in my gun :(

This is when I went on the search for a press and dies so I could Full length size cases.
85 bucks for the Lee cast iron classic cast. Got some dies and Imperial sizing die wax and a lee powder scale.
groups went from 1-1.25" to .75" at 100 yards.
Only because I can now weigh my powder instead of being stuck with the lee scoop.. The scoop works great but was not the optimum charge weight my rifle liked best.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started on a Lee Classic back in the 70s. They make great ammo. My brother still uses one for his 45-70 , it shoots extremely well. A nice option for someone short on space & money and long on time.

I suffer from Nomophobia.

olredhead

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have used Lee Classics for years in 22-250, 223 and 243. Do use an arbor press never liked beating on live primers. Currently loading a 243 load that will shoot 1/2 " at 100 if I don't get the shakes too bad. Have as many as 10 reloads on some 223 brass "but" I don't run anything very hot. Does take more time but don't ever believe you can't load very accurate ammo with one. Added, I do run all my powder over a scale.

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are great. I use it to do load developement. Just easier to make minor adjustments on the fly. The scoops are good for certain loads, but weighing everything makes for a better load.
Plus you can do this on the dining room table when the wife does not want you to set up the big press in the house. Cranks out right at one round a min. Suggest getting a medium size nylon type hammer from the tool place. Everyone who does not have a real press should buy one in each caliber they own, just in case they ever need ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom