• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy Left Handed hunting rifle .270 preferred

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Looking for a Left Handed rifle for my wife to deer hunt with. Ideal caliber would be .270 but would consider others. No preference on make/model either at this time. Thanks!

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
See if you can find a break open single shot rifle. The H&Rs and NEFs are good ones but also Henry is making a single shot rifle thats very nice. I have one in 243. I shoot left handed.

Gus Petch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I appreciate the replies and the links. Still looking. May order one from Savage.
I have left-handed Ruger 77s (Mark IIs and Hawkeyes), Winchester Model 70s, a custom built on an MRC 1999 action, Remington 700s, a Sako 75, a Ruger American, and a Tikka T3x. I've had a left-handed Savage 110 and a Browning A-Bolt II. I also have a fair number of Ruger No. 1s, a Browning 1885, and some Model 99 Savages, to placate those carping about single shots and lever actions as "left-handed" rifles. All shoot quite well. The Ruger 77 iterations are my first choice, due to their CRF full-length extractor and integral mounting system, followed by the Winchester Model 70 with its CRF full-length extractor and trigger design, then the MRC for the same things mentioned for the Winchester, then the Sako with its integral mount system, trigger, and overall workmanship, then the Tikka (poor man's Sako) with the same attributes mentioned for Sako, then the Remington 700 with its overall reputation for accuracy and aftermarket support, then the Ruger American because of its basic accuracy capability. The A-Bolt II and Savage both shot well -- and I've had the opportunity to shoot other people's Savages as well -- but I could never warm up to them. They feel cheap and flimsy to me. The workmanship just isn't there. Some people like them, but I don't, so those went down the road.

The Ruger 77s aren't regularly produced in left-handed anymore and will likely need to be acquired via the used market.

The left-handed Winchesters were discontinued in 2006 and asking/selling prices are way too damned expensive for what they are.

The MRC 1999 was a bastardized design based on the Winchester Model 70 Classic that began as a "gunsmith ready" action and then as a regular factory offering. They typically need work to feed well. Even the factory complete rifles. They were discontinued when the company went out of business in 2019.

The Sako 75 was superseded by the Sako 85 and are very well made, but expensive. I gave $1K for my Sako 75 in 2005 and the left-handed Sako 85s run around $2,300.

The Ruger Americans typically shoot quite well, but you get what you pay for. The factory stocks are regarded as flimsy, the trigger and the plastic parts are usually candidates for replacement, and the rotary magazines aren't particularly reliable once the chambering grows beyond .223 or .300 Blackout. I gave $294.13 for my All Weather model in 2016. They're not that cheap anymore and most users wind up spending a couple hundred dollars more before mounting a scope. And it still looks like a cheap rifle.

The Tikka T3x is a big improvement over the original Tikka T3. It has a more robust stock, larger ejection port, better receiver bedding block, more scope mounting options, and plastic parts have been eliminated. It has a fair number of aftermarket upgrades if you so desire. They're also made by Sako and shoot quite well, as-is. I'm not a big Tikka fan and it was a rifle I wanted to dislike, but it shot so good right off the bat, I couldn't say much. Workmanship is fantastic as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom