LEO traffic question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mmmm...not really. :disappoin

I mean, you could do the whole "citizen's arrest" thing, but if it's a reckless traffic offense, you would more than likely hafta be just as reckless to keep up with the guy until you call dispatch and have an LEO arrive at your location.

If it's like a drunk driver you are behind and he's shoulder to shoulder, but traveling at a normal pace, you can call, stay behind him and follow him until we get there. But if he's driving 80 or 90 mph, you would have to as well in order to keep up with him.

Make sense?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm, so you'd have to keep said offender in sight until the cavalry arrived?

ETA: Going fast doesn't really strike my *personal* reckless driving criteria by itself. But passing a car going the speed limit in fog in a no passing zone, and stopping on railroad tracks do.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm, so you'd have to keep said offender in sight until the cavalry arrived?

ETA: Going fast doesn't really strike my *personal* reckless driving criteria by itself. But passing a car going the speed limit in fog in a no passing zone, and stopping on railroad tracks do.

If that idiot was passing in a marked zone AND in the fog, let him go. :screwy: There's no reason for you to put yourself in danger because of some moron. Besides, those are both misdemeanors. A misdemeanor has to be comitted in the LEO's presence.

Like I said, there's always that citizen's arrest option, but in order to make it stick, YOU have to effect the arrest which would mean you have to pass in a marked zone in the fog right along with him.

I know...I know... :rolleyes2

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you follow him to see if he went back to sit in his living room in his undies and shoot out through the open French doors?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If that idiot was passing in a marked zone AND in the fog, let him go. :screwy: There's no reason for you to put yourself in danger because of some moron. Besides, those are both misdemeanors. A misdemeanor has to be comitted in the LEO's presence.

Like I said, there's always that citizen's arrest option, but in order to make it stick, YOU have to effect the arrest which would mean you have to pass in a marked zone in the fog right along with him.

I know...I know... :rolleyes2

Trust me, I wouldn't put myself in danger.

As it turned out, the next car ahead was an OHP Tahoe, which needless to say he didn't pass. The fog lifted and I was able to remain in sight without doing anything rash. I just didn't know if there was anything I could do in the first place.

Did you follow him to see if he went back to sit in his living room in his undies and shoot out through the open French doors?

LOL!!!

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a call to action last night in this regard as well.

I was heading up to the store to pickup a few things and the car in front of me was swerving all over the road, driving slow and crossing well over the center line many times. It caused two oncoming cars at different times to have to swerve to avoid hitting it. It then pulled into a fast food parking lot and about a 60-ish woman got out and made her way inside.

I kept my distance and called the non-emergency line and let them know what was going on. I stayed in the parking lot to see what would happen and nobody showed up in time. She came out about 10 minutes later and swerved out of the parking lot, down the road a little ways and into a residential neighborhood.

I don't know what was going on, if she was drunk or possibly having health issues, but whatever it was, she was an absolute danger to others on the road. Wish they would have made it to the parking lot to talk to her, but I understand there are sometimes more pressing issues. Oh well...

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer that when you reach the age of 65, you should have your DL renewed annually and you should be required to take a written and driving test every year prior to renewal of your license.

Latest posts

Top Bottom