Less than two weeks till gun season.............

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just had a thought as to one of my possible rifles...if I were to carry my Rossi 20" 45 Colt lever gun, would the magazine tube capacity of 10 rounds make it illegal? Or is that just for detachable mags?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just had a thought as to one of my possible rifles...if I were to carry my Rossi 20" 45 Colt lever gun, would the magazine tube capacity of 10 rounds make it illegal? Or is that just for detachable mags?

Your good to go. The restriction is only for .22 cal rounds, aka .223 or 5.56 in magazine type firearms. You can load your AK up with 30 rounds if you want to carry the extra weight.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your good to go. The restriction is only for .22 cal rounds, aka .223 or 5.56 in magazine type firearms. You can load your AK up with 30 rounds if you want to carry the extra weight.
Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification Dennis, I wasn't close to my reg book, but I knew there was some sort of magazine restriction, just couldn't remember the wording exactly...also sounds like good news for my 277 caliber AR! :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification Dennis, I wasn't close to my reg book, but I knew there was some sort of magazine restriction, just couldn't remember the wording exactly...also sounds like good news for my 277 caliber AR! :)

I've got a .243WSSM in an AR platform that I'll likely be carrying opening day. I've got 10 round and 5 round mags for it. I'll be using the 5 round although 7 rounds max for the .22 is Ok law. I could use the 10 round, but In all of my years of deer hunting, I've never shot more than twice at a deer. If somebody wants to take a 30 round, I could care less. Just more weight they have to carry.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I changed loads this year on my little brush rifle Ruger American .308 Compact. Went back to the load I used years ago in a Winchester 100 semiauto .308 - a Winchester Silvertip .30-30 bullet over 42 grains of IMR 4895. With the 18" barrel I figure it's doing about 2400 fps. Had great luck with this load before - accurate and the bullet really opens up a the midrange velocity without coming apart.

Cedar Creek
That sounds like a very effective load. Good luck!

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This year I put together a new all purpose hunting rig... the idea was to build a rifle that will work for all of the hunting I do, whether stalking, heavy brush, hunting from a blind/stand, any time of day. It's a 6.8 SPCII AR with a lightweight CL CHF barrel from Palmetto with a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 3-9x40 and an offset Burris Fastfire III red dot. I also have a white light, IR laser, head-mount NV nd clip-on NV for night time pig killin. I have a SiCo Omega can on the way too.

I'm shooting Federal Fusion 115 grain bonded soft points. I caught them on sale from Palmetto for $0.60/round here recently and couldn't say no to loaded ammo with a good hunting bullet for the same price as new brass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom