Less than two weeks till gun season.............

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully this post is in jest. 150 yards isn't exactly "stretching" a .338 Lapua out, and bore sighting a rifle--especially when done by the gun counter commando at Wally World--is no substitute for dialing a scope in at the range. Or, maybe it is?

Yes, purely satirical. Though slightly exaggerated, I think many of us have seen those one weekend a year hunters that run to Walmart the night before opening day to equip themselves with all they need to bring down that B&C buck the following morning, having not even stepped foot on the place they will be hunting.

I can assure you that regardless of the rifle I pull from my safe, I am confident in its setup and would be comfortable going to the field with any of them. No assistance from Billy Bob Joe at Walmart necessary.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, purely satirical. Though slightly exaggerated, I think many of us have seen those one weekend a year hunters that run to Walmart the night before opening day to equip themselves with all they need to bring down that B&C buck the following morning, having not even stepped foot on the place they will be hunting.

I can assure you that regardless of the rifle I pull from my safe, I am confident in its setup and would be comfortable going to the field with any of them. No assistance from Billy Bob Joe at Walmart necessary.
I have a good story about that. In 1999, I was working a deer check station near Crockett Texas. It was about noon on opening day and we were thinking about taking a break and having our lunches that we brought with us. A dark colored diesel powered Mercedes drove by really slow. With the darker tinted windows, we could tell nothing about the occupants. Just down the road, the car turned around and came back stopping in the little gravel parking lot. The driver steps out and pops the trunk and a mid teenager man that appears to be his meets him near the opened trunk. He proceeds to say that he bought the guns and scopes in Dallas and drove out to take his boy deer hunting. I am not sure if he even bought scope mounts/rings. Several thoughts ran through my hand, but I tried to contain my laughter as he was wearing leather slip on loafers, nice slacks and a button up shirt. He said he didn't know what to expect so he wore old shoes.
I think the USFWS biologist recognized I wasn't sure what to say and promptly said there should be a gun range in Dallas that can help you out.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's spooky. I have heard stories of gents showing up here for the Grand National Quail Hunt with brand new shotguns that had never been out of the box. I suppose that's better than a rifle you have never fired.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here is another good one the earlier muzzle loading season that we had. I was going to my stand and hunt a big buck I had seen using a alfalfa field every evening. Got there about 3pm and there was somebody already there and they were sitting in my tree stand it was one of our neighbors that has a lot land that I hunt on. So couldn't really say anything except give the old man a hard time when I see him. Went some place else that evening when I was driving back to the house I seen him getting into his truck. I stopped to visit and give him a hard time about hunting out of my tree stand. Ask him if he had seen anything. He said there was a big buck that walked in to 75 yards and shot and he said he missed said he shot a foot over his back. I said you get buck fever he said that these black powders must not shoot good because he had it right on him. I ask him when he sighted it in where was it shooting. He inform me this was his first black powder and he didn't sight it in just loaded it up with some powder put a buffalo bullet in it and went hunting. Figured I would never see that buck again. Went the next evening and him and three does are already out there at about 300 yards. So I pull over the hill and get behind a terrace get on hands and knees started crawling there way every now and then peaking over the top at about 100 yards away I thought heck I am going to sneak up to about 50 yrds and about that time I hear a truck coming through the pasture towards me I look over the top and the deer had already cleared the field as I was laying on my back with grass burs and cow crap on me trying to keep from getting upset the land owners wife pulled up beside me and said Roger what are you doing I said I was trying to sneak up on them deer in the field she says what deer I don't see any deer. Never seen that buck again.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like, at this point, we will get some rainin the first 5 days a rifle season. If wet I'll be using my Mod 70 Stainless in 30-06 and if clear weather I'll use my Rem 788 in 7m-08.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am changing it up a little this year. For the last several years I have hunted with a Tikka T3 Scout .308 with the 20" varmint barrel Vortex 6-24 and AAC N-6 suppressor. This year I chopped down a Tikka Lite to 18" Nikon M308 and topped it off with a Silencerco Harvester. The weight difference is significant. I went from 13.8 pounds to 9.2 pounds while keeping the length the same.
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_11_14_702400591681d7a1b449eda8e3f0f2c2.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's spooky. I have heard stories of gents showing up here for the Grand National Quail Hunt with brand new shotguns that had never been out of the box. I suppose that's better than a rifle you have never fired.
I saw that at a European Style Pheasant Hunt with some oil field salesmen.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I changed loads this year on my little brush rifle Ruger American .308 Compact. Went back to the load I used years ago in a Winchester 100 semiauto .308 - a Winchester Silvertip .30-30 bullet over 42 grains of IMR 4895. With the 18" barrel I figure it's doing about 2400 fps. Had great luck with this load before - accurate and the bullet really opens up a the midrange velocity without coming apart.

Cedar Creek

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw that at a European Style Pheasant Hunt with some oil field salesmen.

When I worked for an oil field bit manufacturing company, they had the international sales meeting at our plant. They asked if any of us had boats, etc. so they could offer some a fishing trip.

Hell ya! Stocked up on tackle, rods, reels, etc. They were more interested in drinking than fishing, so I've still got some of that stuff.

Good to be hooked up with the sales staff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom