Less trapping this year........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe just going after yotes and cats this year.................for the first time ever for me.

Fur Industry News - October 10, 2015 3 Days, 8 Hours ago Karma: 0
DEMAND, PRICES EASE AT SAGA,
CHINA, RUSSIA ECONOMIES CITED,
SAME TREND SEEN AT KOPENHAGEN,
FUR FARMING BAN ACROSS EUROPE?,
NAFA PITCHING FOR EUROPEAN MINK

THE ECONOMIC WOES IN RUSSIA AND THE SLOWING OF CHINA’S ECONOMIC GROWTH MADE THEMSELVES FELT AT SAGA FURS’ FINAL SALE OF THE SEASON Although the presence of 400 buyers was a solid indication of continued strong interest in mink and fox pelts, the weakening in the two biggest markets put those buyers on a more cautious tack. That it was an end-of-season collection consisting mostly of breeders, lowgrades and summer skins may have contributed to the softening of prices. What may also have been a factor was that Kopenhagen Furs’ much larger offering would be available only a few days later.

A CAMPAIGN TO BAN FUR FARMING ACROSS EUROPE WAS LAUNCHED LAST WEEK BY THE EUROPEAN CAMPAIGN FOR ANIMAL RIGHTS. Its director, Jennifer Hamerman, called on members of the European Parliament to take action to outlaw fur farming in Europe, stating the usual claims by animal activists. They recognize that a number of EU states, including the UK, have banned fur farming in their own territories, but that farms faced with an individual country ban move their production to another EU country. The ECAR believes the only solution is harmonization of European legislation and an EU-wide ban. .

SASKATCHEWAN’S TRAPPERS ARE FEELING THE EFFECTS OF RUSSIA’S WEAK RUBLE AND THE SLOWER PACE IN CHINA. Trapping is not an easy way to make a living, but for some residents in the northern part of the province it’s a way of life, notes Don Gordon, president of the Saskatchewan Trappers Association. He says some trappers will choose to move on because the returns are just not there, but thinks others will work harder and smarter to survive. The market for the area’s wild furs is Russia, China and Europe. Demand from Greece is down because of the Russian problem, while China is using domestically-raised raccoons rather than buying wild. “You are going to see the guys go out and catch a certain amount of furs in the bush,” says Gordon. “In the south, the guys are trapping coyotes and there seems to be fair interest for that right now.” Prices are down for raccoon, beaver and even lynx, he points out. Coyote and wild sable (marten) are still doing well.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No kidding, I've read in a couple of places where there were 750k+ left over coons from the last two seasons.

That's not good for the buyers if they want to stay in the business. I predict most will get out of the business. Coons didn't make much but the volume made it like a steady income for the buyers.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NAFA still has most of my coons and all my grey fox from 2 seasons ago. Didnt send either last year, just cats and dogs. Will do the same this season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom