Let's see all the 1911's!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First 7 rds/20yds from peened rail junker mentioned above, the high shot was where slide did not quite fully close for 1 sec and then closed. No further malfs, including speed dump, hit empty ammo box 4 for 7 at 50yds. I do believe it's time to parkerize frame. Past the late issue slide, the gun all RR WWII issue including High Standard barrel whose lugs not even in same zip code as slide stop.
PS- looked up the cage code for GI slide, and it would not pass for a Vietnam rebuild, this supplier was assigned their long lapsed code in 1974...but, close enough for government work...I do know one guy stationed in Afghanistan rooted through about 1/3 of his unit's 1911s and of circa 90 inventoried, between 30 and 40 had this slide on the guns...

PPS- there was no special skill involved past using the right file for the job and having some idea as to smoking parts or using DyeChem to look for interference/high spots. Maybe knowing peened rails most likely to be lower and wider so that bottom and sides of frame rails the areas most likely to need filing, and that doing anything much to top of frame would only lower slide and have maybe center then hitting....no barrel lug or hood welding/recutting...just get the slide on...and then it shot like this where I was truly expecting a lot more problems as for function, as well as buckshot patterns only hopefully somewhere on the paper, maybe...so, maybe I should have played the lottery instead, except I just did and won.

Last edited:

red442joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fixed a couple "drop in" barrels, where the lug and slide stop were on opposite sides of the county, if in the same zip code...
Drop in barrels are like a set of drop in shoes for the family...get a pair of 15's, everbody can wear them.
I was able to mig the lugs, with a brass rod to protect the pin hole. I filed to fit. Both barrels shoot well.

Joe

Attachments

• 20210523_130718.jpg
    20210523_130718.jpg
    1.4 MB
  • 20210523_144109.jpg
    20210523_144109.jpg
    1,012.8 KB

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fixed a couple "drop in" barrels, where the lug and slide stop were on opposite sides of the county, if in the same zip code...
Drop in barrels are like a set of drop in shoes for the family...get a pair of 15's, everbody can wear them.
I was able to mig the lugs, with a brass rod to protect the pin hole. I filed to fit. Both barrels shoot well.

Joe
We formerly used a torch and GI magazine spring to build up lugs and hoods...still would sometimes end up with a carbide clump that would knock the teeth off a file. Nowadays, even a true GI magazine is getting harder and harder to find among all the fake ones, so no living in the past, even if someone wanted to do that. I don't know who invented the lug cutter for perfect mating of lugs with stop for particular frame/slide/barrel, whether Air Force gunsmiths for the team at Lackland, or somebody else, but Bob Day (Distinguished shooter and retired team gunsmith) in San Antonio certainly had one in his shop in the mid-70s, and HE learned from masters.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom